C-52 Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey John F.

D33ps1x and I will be in Mexico from Jan 4 - 18. We are actually staying in Playa del Carmen but plan on diving Playa, Cozumel and we are taking our cavern/cave course in Akumal. Drop us a line and maybe we can get enough people to get our own boat out to the C-53.

Safe Diving!:)

deluca2799:
Hey John F.

D33ps1x and I will be in Mexico from Jan 4 - 18. We are actually staying in Playa del Carmen but plan on diving Playa, Cozumel and we are taking our cavern/cave course in Akumal. Drop us a line and maybe we can get enough people to get our own boat out to the C-53.

Safe Diving!:)

Me and a buddy will be there Jan 4 - 10 we are staying at reef club might be intersted in diving this wreck if time tables work out.

Bryan Tinney

Hey MasterMachinist,

We are trying to setup a single boat for us. They hold six so plenty of room. I will PM you in the next couple of days and let you know whats up!

Safe Diving!

Further information (as I have heard it - and seen it)

I heard that the wreck was pretty dull for the first few years that it was down, but sometime in the spring of 2003 a huge school of bait fish (I have heard differing species mentioned) moved in to the wreck. That of course brought lots of other fish.

When I was there in June 2003 there were millions of bait fish in a giant bait-ball hanging out in a couple places within the wreck. The bait ball was amazing. They would part for a diver, then close back in around him. The entire mass would react as one to any movements. It was like bing inside a sphere of living mercury. You couldn't see a diver 8 feet away when the school closed back in around both of you.

There was a good sized Nassau grouper hanging around outside, and a three foot long grouper of unknown species hanging in a corner inside, just waiting for his chances. He tolerated divers coming past, and he used us as a distraction to get a mouthful of bait fish at a side opening.

There were also a a bunch of Glassy Sweepers hanging around on a lower (darker) deck area.

There was a fair sized barracuda hanging near the wreck, but he retreated whenever divers approached the wreck, and returned when we surfaced.

There was a juvenile drum with the long flowing fins hanging around at the top of the superstructure, and arrow crabs everywhere. There was a pair of French Angelfish that owned an upper walkway on the port side of the ship, plus a few other species cruising around. I have a couple decent pictures from my cheapie camera, but they are home.

I loved the C-53 Wreck when I was in Cozumel. I dove it twice, and I will definitely hit it again when I go back (hopefully in May or June).

FWIW

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom