Bypass a Back Inflate and go to BPW instead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tracy, I appreciate it. I’m newer to diving so I’m still getting to know other divers and shops.
They are the only tech friendly shop in the area. Not that BPW is technical, but it is in the mind of most dive shops.

Cincinnati scuba and aquatics should have some plates and wings on hand. They could help fit you and let you try some. Ask for Mike. Tell him Tracy sent you.

I’ve had dealings with Mike before, too. Very helpful.

FWIW I went through much the same. Qualified and did my first 10 or so dives with rental jacket BCDs. Hated them. Didn't like that the single tank bands on the ones I tried didn't feel secure, the cummerbunds were bulky and uncomfortable. Tried a back inflate for a couple of dives and it was much better, so I felt good about going straight to BCD.

Got the DGX package and love it. The entire rig disappears in the water, and everything feels locked in. Took a bit of tinkering to get it dialed in, but it was well worth it. Only thing I would suggest is to not have the shop/vendor assemble it for you if at all possible. Putting it together and adjusting your BC yourself will teach you a lot about the utility of your setup and how to tweak it to improve your rig.

BP/W costs less, lasts longer, and is appropriate for any kind of diving. I need 6 lbs when diving in tropical water in my 5 mil. That is taken care of my SS BP and STA. I'm a wimp when it comes to temperature, so your exposure protection needs are likely not as great.

Some jackets style BCDs ana back inflates are stupidly expensive (like $1000). I really don't get it after trying some of them (Zeagle Ranger $700, ScubaPro Hydro are two examples). Heck, some Had Some Money Once .. ahem ... Halcyon has BP/W packages less than the Hydro!

Tough to beat the DGX for all around value and practicality. There are other good options that I prefer for minor differences.

BP/W costs less, lasts longer

No, this isn't accurate at all. I have a Scubapro Stab Jacket that is about 20 years old and it is going strong without any issues at all. I have used it heavily for about 12 years. At same time I have had BP/W that didn't last a couple of years because of issues with the wings, straps, etc. You get what you paid for here.

I need 6 lbs when diving in tropical water in my 5 mil. That is taken care of my SS BP and STA
You can put 4 lbs in the back pocket of a back-inflate or even a jacket BC's when you get to the dive trip destination instead of weighing down your luggage while you are traveling with that heavy BP/W plate. This isn't an advantage at all.

Some jackets style BCDs ana back inflates are stupidly expensive (like $1000). I really don't get it after trying some of them (Zeagle Ranger $700, ScubaPro Hydro are two examples). Heck, some Had Some Money Once .. ahem ... Halcyon has BP/W packages less than the Hydro!
Not all of them are that expensive, most of the back inflate BC's are at half the price. The expensive ones are expensive because of the high quality and the many options they have standard with the price.

You are also ignoring the fact that the "low" price for BP/W you mention is the very bare bones BP/W kit.

The Zeagle Ranger BC you mention has been in production for MANY years and it is a VERY popular BC for MANY years. There must be something good about it for it to be in production for this length of time. The Hydro Pro BC is one of the most popular BC's in the SP line and is very popular worldwide. It is an extremely successful BC. The Hydros Pro has everything the recreational single tank diver wants/needs for all environments, tropical/temperate/cold waters from t-shirt wearing to 3mm/5mm/7mm to drysuit. If you need to travel with it, it packs very compactly and doesn't weigh much.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. At the end, you don't like vanilla ice cream but like strawberry. That's fine but just don't make stuff up about how vanilla is bad for you and strawberry is the only good one.

It is hard to beat the durability of a stainless steel plate and 2" webbing. Wings sometimes break or need repair -- they are a bladder, plastic bits and cover -- but they can be replaced separate from the rest of the rig. As can any pockets you customize with. Or hard to beat being able to mix and match components from many different companies.

Oh how did I know my comment trigger you? I'm probably going to regret engaging you (hence the last part of my signature) but here goes.
No, this isn't accurate at all. I have a Scubapro Stab Jacket that is about 20 years old and it is going strong without any issues at all. I have used it heavily for about 12 years. At same time I have had BP/W that didn't last a couple of years because of issues with the wings, straps, etc. You get what you paid for here.
You example of a POS wing isn't valid. There are always pieces of garbage out there.

I know a number of people who had Scubapro Hydros break in different ways that a BP/W never would
You can put 4 lbs in the back pocket of a back-inflate or even a jacket BC's when you get to the dive trip destination instead of weighing down your luggage while you are traveling with that heavy BP/W plate. This isn't an advantage at all.
Actually it can be. You see when I shore dive in locations like Maui and half to rent weight's, not having to do is an advantage and one logistical item at all.

If you lack the physical strength to carry a 6 lb BP and STA that's a different issue.

Not all of them are that expensive, most of the back inflate BC's are at half the price. The expensive ones are expensive because of the high quality and the many options they have standard with the price.
You are missing the point of durability. The offering from DGX will outlast the expensive ones as well.
You are also ignoring the fact that the "low" price for BP/W you mention is the very bare bones BP/W kit.
Trim pockets are ridiculously cheap. Surely you've heard of a balanced rig. A BCD should be bare bones.
The Zeagle Ranger BC you mention has been in production for MANY years and it is a VERY popular BC for MANY years. There must be something good about it for it to be in production for this length of time. The Hydro Pro BC is one of the most popular BC's in the SP line and is very popular worldwide. It is an extremely successful BC. The Hydros Pro has everything the recreational single tank diver wants/needs for all environments, tropical/temperate/cold waters from t-shirt wearing to 3mm/5mm/7mm to drysuit. If you need to travel with it, it packs very compactly and doesn't weigh much.
Great marketing! Hey McDonald's makes more burgers than anyone else. Doesn't mean it is the best option.
You aren't comparing apples to apples. At the end, you don't like vanilla ice cream but like strawberry. That's fine but just don't make stuff up about how vanilla is bad for you and strawberry is the only good one.
I have clearly stated factual advantages. Just because you don't like them or they contradict your agenda doesn't make them untrue.

Listen Burhan, we don't like each other at all. Let's just stop here. Don't reply to me. You've said your piece. I've said mine.

I really don't want to have any exchange with you if I can help it

Lord knows the mods feel the same way. The less we interact the better.

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the Hog. Divers Supply had a scuba package that included the Hog D3 Zenith regulator and Octo I was already looking at as a back up set so I just did the package. I had 10% off and it also comes with an 2 gauge console and Mares Puck Pro Plus wrist computer so it was under $1000 and I plan to sell the computer and SPG so I’ll have my regs and BPW for cheap.

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the Hog. Divers Supply had a scuba package that included the Hog D3 Zenith regulator and Octo I was already looking at as a back up set so I just did the package. I had 10% off and it also comes with an 2 gauge console and Mares Puck Pro Plus wrist computer so it was under $1000 and I plan to sell the computer and SPG so I’ll have my regs and BPW for cheap.
When you decide to pick up a dive computer, I'd recommend one with Buhlmann ZHL-16c and to avoid all RGBM variants.

My preferred bc is bpw.

If I must to teach I'll dive a back inflate.

You can't pay me to dive a jacket, literally I turned down a teaching job because they wanted me to teach in a jacket.

That's just my preference
Why not teach in BP/W as well?

Weight distribution is always an issue for cold water divers as so much is needed relatively to warm water. Having 6 lbs (or more, like if one has a 6 mm thick/10 lb BP) on ones back is really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom