Bye Suunto, been nice knowing you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...The shop has pursued this with both the repair side of Suunto US (aka AquaLung) and their rep. There's no love.

No offer of discounted replacement... just a "yeah, that's not reparable. This happens when it doesn't get dived for while."

Yep. This was my experience. There's no "Gee, that really shouldn't happen to something that you've spent hundreds of dollars on and haven't abused. Let me try to make this right." They were just nice enough to recommend I buy a brand new one. :shakehead:

I stopped being a Suunto guy a few years back (nothing to do with where I work).

The old shop I worked for was an Aqualung/Suunto dealer, so that's what we all used. I had a Cobra die for unknown reasons, we sent it back, got confirmation that they'd received it, then a few months later I realized I didn't have it back. I had other computers, so missing one wasn't a big deal. When we asked them about it, they said they'd never seen it. This was despite us having some conversations about what was wrong, so obviously they had seen it. They had just lost it and didn't want to help me out. I was a dive pro leading a large program, so I think I sold quite a few by wearing them all the time and recommending them to students, so this was a bit crazy. I eventually told them I was going to file a report with the police so I could file a claim on my homeowners insurance and they finally offered me a deal on a D9.

So now I have a D9 and two Stingers. Problem is, the battery life is crap and it's a couple hundred bucks each to have the battery replaced.

So now I'm diving a Scubapro I won in a contest and love that it has a user replaceable battery and that I get much more bottom time. Next time it's a Shearwater or Liquivision for me.

Suunto has tons of fans, so you're unlikely to get much support on here with your frustrations, but as I dive and travel lately, I'm seeing more people with Suunto stories like ours.

Diver0001 & cb5150: Let's get this straight, you're right. We're talking about five different computers:
1. my original Cobra. Purchased ~2005, died ~2008, after reportedly having water enter the HP port (thanks to the QD). As I was leaving it "on shore" during pool sessions, I did accept the explanation that it likely had something to do with that. We could explore this further and talk about how the QD should really have better ways of preventing water entry (I didn't connect it underwater, or when *wet* -- but it may have had a drop or two on it from time to time, as I didn't blow dry it first). This computer had ~300 dives on it, and they took care of me to replace it.

2. my original D9. Purchased ~2007, stolen 2009. Worked well, no complaints.

3. my current Cobra. Purchased for what is likely Suunto's cost (~$200) in 2008 to replace #1. Currently has a few hundred dives on it.

4. my current D9. Purchased 2009 to replace #2. Still working OK.

5. my *FATHER'S* Cobra2. Purchased in 2008. Had 25 dives on it, now dead. Aside from not having the battery replaced on-time, it was BABIED. Suunto is refusing any sort of help to replace it with another Suunto.

Let's further set this straight:

Suunto has a track record of keeping products around FOREVER. Heck, you can still buy an original Cobra from them -- a product that has been on the market for over a decade. That said, the Cobra2 was only around for about a year before it was discontinued for the Cobra3. That says something. Even if they won't admit to it, it's clear that some issue was discovered that mean they were better off actually changing the product name once it was fixed.

As for the accusations about going to another shop -- I deal primarily with one of two shops, one at home in Edmonton, one in Hawaii. I don't own or work for a shop, I'm an independent instructor. My father lives in a place (Prince George) where there is *no* shop... so it wasn't even an option to have this dealt with on an appropriate time schedule.

Quite frankly, anyone defending Suunto here is out to lunch -- a computer shouldn't die simply from not being used, or having a battery die. Even iPods aren't that fickle, and they are the epitome of disposable electronics.

I'd feel a lot less cheated over this if it was a Gekko or Zoop that died -- or if it had at least a hundred or two dives on it. But that's not the case. We're talking about their high-end $1000 computer with only ~25 dives, and the only "abuse" it took was not getting used.

I guess the other thing here is that it's really discouraging my father from getting any more "into" diving -- it's caused him to evaluate how much he plans to do it, and from now will likely rent gear like a computer (or other items, if/when they fail). Anyone that's drank the PADI kool-aid knows all about the statistical ties between owning gear (and more and more of it) and diving more.

I also thought better of the diving manufacturers, especially Suunto. I thought they were in it not *just* to make money, but for the love of the sport, too.

Anyhow, the bottom line is this: because of the non-existent customer support, I won't buy Suunto again. When I have something worth hundreds-to-thousands of dollars, I do expect the company to back their product, even outside the warranty phase. Especially when all signs point to the product being a "dud".

Easy there Kris, Stop & Breathe.

You don't have to justify your actions to anyone. You're wearing big boy pants and can spend or withhold your money as you please.

Good luck and safe diving Amigo. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a new computer.

Last edited:
...snip...

Anyhow, the bottom line is this: because of the non-existent customer support, I won't buy Suunto again. When I have something worth hundreds-to-thousands of dollars, I do expect the company to back their product, even outside the warranty phase. Especially when all signs point to the product being a "dud".

Fair enough.

So, where have you been anyway?

R..

KrisB,

You might give these guys a ring. They are an independent 3rd party Authorized Suunto Service/Repair Center, that maybe can at least swing you a deal. Besides battery changes, they do repairs, etc., and have parts & stuff On Hand. Ask for CJ. They are here in SoCal, and competent. They deal with everything from snorkels to rebreathers in the connected dive shop.

I'll bet you spent more than $1K on the car or truck you drive. I hope it never needs repair "outside the warranty phase."

/QUOTE]

I've owned several vehicles. I have never heard a car repair shop (least of all a factory-authorised repair shop) say "you didn't drive it. Now it's dead. Buy a new one, and you're on your own." Especially on a vehicle that should have been recalled, rather than just quietly discontinued.

This issue has been reported by many, it seems -- Suunto acknowledged to the repair person at the shop I was dealing with that it is a known issue for Cobra2s that don't get wet regularly.

In the defense of Suunto or any other manufacturer for that matter, I believe you have to submit your gear to an authorized technician once a year to maintain your warranties and support through the company. Not saying this may have changed the results, but it probably wouldn't have hurt and given you better support through the manufacturer. Batteries leak and die all the time, especially in equipment left for periods of time. Leave some AA2's in a walkman for the same duration and see what happens.

That aside, I refuse to purchase gear (and most other things over $200) that's not been on the market for 6 months. This helps me determine which products to stay away or buy from based on reviews, bugs and issues, recall notices and the like.

That's pretty much how I read it too.

Nice to see you posting again Kris. Going to hang around for a while?

R..

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

Dave, how robust ARE the Shearwater computers? I've been thinking I may buy a computer with an OLED screen but most of the people I know keep coming back to Suunto (having spent a fortune on bad purchases) just because Suunto makes computers that work.

R..

Rob the new Shearwater Petrel is a game changer. LCD colour display smaller package at recreational dive computer price with full capabilities unlocked. And I have never, ever heard a complaint about Shearwater customer or out of warranty service. I've owned a couple of Suuntos in my day.

We just couldn't read ours anymore. Husband had a Suunto and I used a Suunto as my backup. Our eyes are getting too old. We replaced both with liquivisions since we're considering doing some tech training. Boy, are they nice! No more squinting and love the tap screen. So intuitive!
I know a lot of tech divers prefer the Shearwater but after comparing features and seeing them in action with several different cave divers we were sold! I also like the slightly smaller size compared to Shearwater since I wear a Lycra skin in summer diving the lake and have very tiny wrist.
Being able to replace the battery myself, easily is really nice. Rechargeable or regular battery. Plus, I can finally understand all the functions without having to pull out my manual, something I've never been able to do any of my with previous dive computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom