BWRAF mnemonics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, now that we have all the choices for mnemonic reminders, how do you get people to remember what they stand for? It does help for developing good habits however.

I know we teach it, but after a while you just do like TSandM and do a head to toe look over and it's sort of like "Where's Waldo" you will spot something out of place.

Interesting stuff. I'm 55 and have been diving 4 years. Once I got my weight right (for salt & fresh water) it hasn't changed, nor have I (unfortunately). Find how much weight you need and that's the end of it (for most of us).

i tend to use "British women really are fat". Or if teaching a fat british women "bruce willis ruins all films"

I used to try to use "Bangladeshi whitewash rainfall against flashiness " but for some reason, I needed some help to remember that. :idk:

One for the parents of infants:

Baby Wipes Remove Anal Foulness.

I know we teach it, but after a while you just do like TSandM and do a head to toe look over and it's sort of like "Where's Waldo" you will spot something out of place.

Kinda misses the point tho no? It's a check list, not a random check of stuff. Random checks of stuff miss things. That's why pilots have checklists, no, rather than just going 'well, cockpit looks pretty ok, let's go'?

I know it's only rec/scuba (e.g. as opposed to diving a rebreather) but it's a specific list for a reason.

I do find it a little distressing on SB where people frequently insist upon 'rules' in one area but are happy to discard them in others. Mixed messages etc. Maybe it's different training or different schools of thought but it'll definitely confuse the new diver (of which clearly I am an advocate as I'm constantly moaning on their behalf - mainly cos I'm fairly new myself and can remember the challenges and contradictions they face whilst learning).

BWRAF is a good basic checklist and people should be encouraged to use it.

Aside from that, Bestiality With Rattlesnakes... I like best. The mnemonic that is.
J

The head to toe is not a random check of stuff. It is very methodical. In fact it will cover all equipment on the dive where BWRAF may not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom