Buying used tanks old tanks and paint ball tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How do you approach older tanks and or paint ballers tanks to see if they are even worth considering for purchase? Or do you not even go there because the risk of not passing the needed to test is too great?

For example There is a paintballser tank that Little A5 over 95 with a big 2 in front (or to the left) of it and big 02 behind it (or to the right). Thats all he knows and he's only used it for paintball and bought it from a paintballer. But had it filled at my local dive shop though it's been a few years.

Now this guy is asking he is willing to get current hydro and VIP from a dive shop I trust then is a tank worth $90

If it is an AL tank, if it is from before 90 don't bother, it will never get filled.. Otherwise, drain it, pop the valve off and take a peek inside... look for any signs of corrosion, moisture..
Remember, those filling only paintball tanks, don't care about air quality... if it is in hydro, bonus. If not, that should be a bargaining chip for you. Also, painballers don't put their tanks in salt water. Good luck.

Here's all he knows and that he had it filled at my local dive shop back when he use to get it filled. And should we assume they won't fill 1995 tanks in 2015 because of the age or is the 1990 soley about the recall that occurred.

scubatank.jpg

That is the hydro mark from Feb 02 done by hydro facility A595. That is a subsequent hydro, not the original (based on paint damage and alignment). You need to find the original hydro to determine if it is too old for many shops to deal with.

Do all aluminum tanks have a 20 year life span or is the 1990 date meerly related to the mass problems associated with luxfer tank dated pre 1990. I understand just avoid pre 1990 tanks to avoid confusion at fill stations, but I'm just trying to figure out if a 1995 tank is done in 5 years?

Thanks

as long as the orignal hydro is after 1990 you should have no problem
all you need is a vip & hydro
and a refresher in open water scuba

Look inside the tank as earlier stated, if looks good.
Call Luxfer, they have an 800 #.
I bought 2 used tanks, both hadn't been hyro'd since 1990.
I called Luxfer, gave them the numbers and they said that there was no problem with the tanks.
I got them hydro'd with no problem.
Some shops just want you to buy a new tank from them.
That is what Luxfer told me!!!
As with anything used, buyer beware
Good luck

Look inside the tank as earlier stated, if looks good.
Call Luxfer, they have an 800 #.
I bought 2 used tanks, both hadn't been hyro'd since 1990.
I called Luxfer, gave them the numbers and they said that there was no problem with the tanks.
I got them hydro'd with no problem.
Some shops just want you to buy a new tank from them.
That is what Luxfer told me!!!
As with anything used, buyer beware
Good luck
The problem is that it is not a question of whether Luxfer says it is good or the hydro facility says it is good. It is a question of whether the dive shop will fill it.

Thank you awap for bringing that up
Something the OP needs to think about also.
I fill my own tanks so I don't have that problem.
The only problem I have is, my arms and back get real tired using that old bicycle pump.
No really, I use the system at the local F.D., where my instructor fills his tanks.

That is the hydro mark from Feb 02 done by hydro facility A595. That is a subsequent hydro, not the original (based on paint damage and alignment). You need to find the original hydro to determine if it is too old for many shops to deal with.

Actually, the hydro facility is: A559. The number is read clockwise, starting top left and finishing bottom left.

Luxfer used to make their tanks out 6351 Alloy until around 1988. All Luxfer tanks after 1989 are 6061 alloy. There should not be any problems filling any 1990 or newer aluminum tanks in the future, but ignorant dive shops can do whatever they please.

I have heard of shops that will not touch any old tank (they may arbitrarily pick any tank age as being too old). I try to avoid shops run by ignorant people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom