Buying Used Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have someone willing to sell me an scubapro M25 first stage + Scubapro s555 + Aqualung Titan Micro for 180 dollars. They seem in very good condition with about 15 dives on them. What do you guys think about these regulators, the price, and buying them used?

I have bought 9 MK25s and 16 G500/S555/S600 second hand over the last 2 1/2 years. An MK25 will go around $200 and the second stages older models $100-$150 with s600 often higher. I have know idea on the Aqualung.

I service my regs so don't have to worry about service costs and will routinely service second hand gear when I receive it.

My MK25s have been a mix of great condition through to poor. They were all bought sight unseen. I have not had any issue bringing them all back to serviceable condition with no IP creep. If you get caught needing parts it can be expensive, it cost me over $100 (AUD) for a piston, but that was still a lot less than a new MK25!

The S555 can be upgraded to be user adjustable balanced, and the face changed so it looks like (is) a S600.

For $180 this looks a bargain. Pay for a service and it should work like new, but cost a lot less! Over time find another s600 second hand (or s360/s560) get rid of the Aqualung. The second stages will use a common service kit and that might help...

Last edited:
No matter how the exterior looks, there's just no way to know what shape the internal mechanisms are in without having someone who knows what to look for open it up and inspect it. At the very least, it may need to be adjusted. I say when you have a reg whose history you have no knowledge of, start with a clean slate by having it professionally serviced, with new service kit parts and the service tech's stamp of approval.

This sounds good in theory, but it's not completely accurate. It is true that it takes some knowledge to inspect a regulator, but you don't have to open it up to do it. Doing a visual check, (including the 1st stage filter), a vacuum test, leak test, and IP test gives you plenty of information, especially on a near-new regulator. And this buyer has knowledge of the reg's history, he said it was used about 15 times. Unless he has reason to think the seller is lying, in which case he shouldn't buy anything from him.

Then there's the issue of the service tech. I started working on my own regs many years ago precisely because I had disastrous problems with dive shop service techs. Personally, I think I'd bet on a MK25 with 15 dives on it way before I'd bet on a random dive shop's service tech's work. Then there's the issue of how some unscrupulous shops 'punish' divers who bring in used equipment by raising the "life support" BS.

In this case a GOOD shop service tech would agree to inspect the reg and maybe offer some advice. But unless there's something obviously wrong, there's simply no reason to take the reg apart.

Regarding the safety of this practice, keep in mind that ALL safe diving practices include back up solutions to problems encountered with gear underwater, as any piece of equipment can theoretically fail at any moment, so regulator failures are only dangerous to those who are diving poorly.

This sounds good in theory, but it's not completely accurate. It is true that it takes some knowledge to inspect a regulator, but you don't have to open it up to do it. Doing a visual check, (including the 1st stage filter), a vacuum test, leak test, and IP test gives you plenty of information, especially on a near-new regulator. . . .

Assuming one has the tools to do it and the know-how to interpret what he sees, sure. My suggestion to the OP was based on an assumption of no knowledge or ability beyond what we're taught in OW class.

Speaking for myself only, until I take a reg service class or someone who knows what he's doing otherwise shows me what to do, what to look for, etc., I'm not going to assume that a little knowledge gained from reading Internet forum posts is enough to inform me whether a reg is in proper working order or not.

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, I think I see what you're saying. You're agreeing a service tech should inspect it and test it, but you're disagreeing that it necessarily should be taken apart and a new service kit installed. Okay, that makes sense. If he can find a tech who is willing to do that, great. My guess is that most dive shops want a minimum amount of work to make it worth their while. I still think the way to go is to have the tech give it the full service and be done with it for peace of mind. Voila--a like-new reg.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the wonderful information friends. As soon as I hear back from him, I am going to meet at a local shop and have them give it a lookover. If it all checks out ill definitely snatch them up.
Happy diving everyone!

A word of caution. Some shops will tend to recommend a full service primarily to feed their cash register. If the tech says service, make sure you understand why. IP drift, a leak, dirt are all things that you should be shown.

My local shop allowed me to hook up my new slightly used HOGS to a tank as well as check for leaks. While I was there, I bought some stuff, but they didn't charge for the testing.

So my dual Hogs and 1st stage with console was a great find IMHO. Diving the Bahamas with them in a few weeks:)

So is the shop. Post their name and give them the Kudo they deserve.
Pan Aqua in NYC....been here forever. Good peeps!

I echo others...

The MK25 is a really good workhorse and fairly easy to rebuild.

The S555 is decent.

The Aqua Lung Octo I would replace with a S600.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom