Buying Used Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clock115

Reaction score
I have someone willing to sell me an scubapro M25 first stage + Scubapro s555 + Aqualung Titan Micro for 180 dollars. They seem in very good condition with about 15 dives on them. What do you guys think about these regulators, the price, and buying them used?

I greatly appreciate the help on the matter.
Thanks!

I always aim to 'try before buy' any second hand equipment when possible. Ask if you can take them for a test dive before handing over any cash. If not, make sure they do not dry breathe, try having an inspection of the diaphram, and if possible try and check inside the first stage for any wear and tear/rust/gunk. If all is good, sounds like a good set up and a fiar price.

I would have any second-hand regulator professionally serviced before diving it. They should be able to return it to near-new condition. Even when the service adds another hundred dollars or so to the cost, it can be a good deal.

If it really only has about 15 dives and it was cleaned well after salt water use, chances are very good that it's fine as is. But you do need to go through a pre-dive check. You can look up couv's excellent post on inspecting regulators. Here's a bumper sticker version: 1. Make sure the dust cap is in place, then try to draw air on both 2nd stages. You should not be able to. 2. Put it on a tank, pressurize, immerse everything in a tub of water, look for bubbles. There should not be any. 3. Find an IP gauge that fits on the end of the LP inflator hose. Pressurize the reg and see if the IP is stable between 125 and 150 PSI. It should not creep up.

If all of those things check out I'd dive it without any hesitation. $180 is a good price. The MK25 is one of the best 1st stages available, and the S555 is a good 2nd stage, not exactly my style, but I'm weird like that. I don't know much about the particular titan you mentioned as an octo, but I would bet it's perfectly fine.

I would have any second-hand regulator professionally serviced before diving it. They should be able to return it to near-new condition. Even when the service adds another hundred dollars or so to the cost, it can be a good deal.

This. Those are all relatively current models, but even at 15 dives, they could still have suffered abuse... Not rinsing following salt-water use would be the obvious issue.

You could also confirm with your local dealer that parts are readily available.

I have bought several used reg sets, all in like new condition, with no issues. Have it checked if your concerned. Sounds like a really good deal to me.
Jay

No matter how the exterior looks, there's just no way to know what shape the internal mechanisms are in without having someone who knows what to look for open it up and inspect it. At the very least, it may need to be adjusted. I say when you have a reg whose history you have no knowledge of, start with a clean slate by having it professionally serviced, with new service kit parts and the service tech's stamp of approval.

If it were a reg I wanted, I would follow halocline's advice, and if the couv tests were good I'd pick it up. Actually, I've done it a number of times and been quite pleased with the outcome. If the tests don't come out good you have a negotiating point on the sale as you have to factor a service into the equation. Most equipment I see for sale is from people that dropped out of diving, if that is the case the reg is probably in good shape.

Bob

There is no Aqualung Micro. There is a Micra and a Micron. The Micron second is much newer, and IMO is a far better regulator.The Titan name is usually used to designate a first stage, since a number of different seconds have been sold with it. I suspect that the octo is a Micra, which, although it is a PITA to service, is a good breather. But, even without the octo, if it checks out, the Mk 25 sounds like a good deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom