Buying used from private parties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba1968

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to buy good used equipment from private parties? What do all you guys do with your used equipment when you upgrade?

Sell it. I just upgraded all my 12 yr old equipment with used. LDS (in San Diego) checked it all out and gave it the ok. Did safety check on my new, used reg and said it didn't need to be serviced until next year. All internal pressures and parts were like new.

montyb

scuba1968:
Is it possible to buy good used equipment from private parties? What do all you guys do with your used equipment when you upgrade?
Most of my gear for me and my family (5 divers) is used gear. But look out! You have to research your decision, know the brands and model numbers. I have done well and made a few mistakes. I bought a Sherwood reg over e-bay and had to replace three hoses. $100 mistake. Some things I buy new (masks, wet suits), others stuff I will look at used (tanks). It depends on how age effects the equipment. Everything I buy is serviced by a LDS before I use it, so add that expense to the item.
Let the buyer beware! There is plenty of junk or old gear that can not be serviced (Dacor, Tekna). My old gear is passed to friends or to another family member. When I am done with the gear, not usually fit for selling. Happy shopping!

scuba1968:

Yes it's quite possible to pick up good used equipment but it's hard to know if you're getting a good deal unless you're very familiar with what you're looking at. Here are some tips for not getting swindled. I'm sure other people will add to this list:

• Take the time to get advice from someone who knows a lot about or has used the thing you want to buy
  • Make sure you check if there is a recall or other chronic problems with a particular bit of gear before you buy
  • Assume that everything you buy used will need to be serviced before you can use it and calculate service costs (and the time it takes) into the purchase price.
  • Try it out if you can.
  • Ask for service records, warranty documents etc.
  • Inspect it for signs of abuse before you buy it.
  • Look around for similar "new" equipment to get a feeling for how much you should be paying.

R..

Ro, has it right. It can seem very difficult to judge new equipment let alone used. I would take the name and model of the reg that you are looking at and find out if the thing is what you want new before used. If it has everything you want in a reg, then ask the guy when it was last serviced, and if you don't trust him, ask for the receipt. Also see what he is asking for it in relation to the new price of the reg, finally is the reg still supported by the manufacturer, and ask to have a tech take a look at it.

scuba1968:
I have just recently cleaned out the closet so to speak and sold some spare hardly used regulators on eBay. I always have them inspected first, insure the shipping, and stand behind them. I make sure the buyer knows what to expect when they open the box. So far everyone's been happy.

I have also purchased on eBay, and I have always been happy with scuba purchases. I can't say the same for non-scuba electronics. I think divers are honest people in general, since we're dealing in life-support equipment.

I've bought a lot of stuff online. Ebay, forums, whatever. Buying used gear is fine as long as you know what to expect and know what possible problems there can be. Have them clarified first before a purchase is made. As long as it's all in writing, you should be ok. Then make the purchase through Paypal or somethig similar, so you're covered somewhat. If the seller tries to sell you crap, you can put in a complaint and get it dealt with. Also, a lot of ebayers are willing to work out issues to avoid negative feedback. A good reputation takes a long time to get and a very short time to destroy. I've worked out a few issues from ebay purchases. Everybody has been very reasonable.

Oh, and my old gear gets sold. speaking of which, time to go through the closet again.

scuba1968:
I have purchased all but one of my 4 regs from private parties. I simply take them in to have them checked out/serviced. The other reg I purchased new.

As others have said, make sure you know what you are buying. Do your homework on the make, model and capabilities of the equipment.

As for selling gear I no longer use, I sell it here. Ebay is my last choice for either buying or selling.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom