Buying Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm a newly certified SCUBA diver and am looking to start collecting my own equipment. My local dive shop offers several different total equipment packages. The one that my instructor priced out for me based on my skills and dive locations is going to cost about $2600 to get everything (mas, fins, snorkel, boots, compass, knife, computer, whistle, gear bag, weights, wetsuit, bcd, regulator, octo, pressure gage, etc..).

However, I've started browsing through the eBay listings quite a bit and have found that if I'm patient I can get all of the same items, except much nicer brands and models, for about half the cost. Just for example, I can pick up a sherwood oasis regulator from the dive shop for $400, or I get an aqualung legend on eBay for $265.

Can someone please give a list of pros and cons for purchasing online versus in my local dive shop? I realize that life saving equipment is probably best bought locally, but I'm just trying to weigh all my options so that I get the most for my money since I'm spending so much. Also, are there any equipment items that are OK to buy online? Cameras, lights, dive computers, etc?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks much,
-Scott

I prefer dive shop for the more expensive items. That way, you have somewhere to go if anything happens. I own the Aqualung Legend and I bought it from my LDS because of the servicing deal offered by Aqualung.

Scottie . . .

WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD !!!!

Amazingly enough, you've asked that question which is probably the most controversial question debated on ScubaBoard.

El Orans has given you some great direction in your quest of the Holy Grail of scubadiving questions.

In the end, it will probably depend upon how loyal you feel towards your bank account and how loyal you feel toward your dive shop.

Anyway, welcome to ScubaBoard.

We hope you'll have fun here, meet some new friends here, and share your experiences and memories.

The Kraken

Great threads to browse through, but in case it takes a bit for you to do so, keep in mind that buying many regulators new gives you free parts for life during annual service. That $150 you save could be eaten up with parts kits pretty quickly, plus when you buy a reg used you should have it at least checked out, if not serviced completely, which will add a good $50+ to the purchase price.

If you want a great price on new regs with a warranty, call ScubaToys (but they don't sell Aqualung).

Immediately....

Pros- Cheaper

Cons- If used gear, you really don't know how it's been used, cared for, treated or serviced. There are scammers online (though most sellers are legit). If new gear, there can be problems occasionally, getting it serviced (manufacturers are cracking down on this using serial numbers). Most manufacturers will not warranty online/ mail order equipment. If your LDS can't make some sales (doesn't have to be all your business) they won't stay in business for long. IF they go out of business, will you be able to get additional training, air fills,.... etc. elsewhere?

You could do comparison shopping, take what you've found & see if your LDS will deal with you,... you just might be pleasantly surprised. Of course, they have to make a little money, but I'm fairly certain they'll do what they can to make the sale. Can never hurt to ask. Go with the facts, & be prepared to bargain a little.

Most manufacturers will not warranty online/ mail order equipment.

I hate getting involved in these... but this is just plain not true. Everything we sell comes with a full manufacturers warranty.

Scottie . . .

WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD !!!!

Amazingly enough, you've asked that question which is probably the most controversial question debated on ScubaBoard.

Actually, If I read it correctly the OP is asking a very specific and very DIFFERENT variant of the usual "LDS vs internet" question - he is specifically asking about LDS vs E-BAY purchasing.

This is a whole different can of worms...

As far as ebay...and understand this is strictly my personal opinion, but I am very leery of buying something that I consider life support equipment from someone I don't know, especially used. There are lots of good folks out there selling equipment that is great shape, but unfortunately there are some who don't have those kinds of ethics as well, and I just as soon avoid the chance of making the wrong choice.

In regards to the LDS vs the internet debate (one that is really getting old now) 20 years ago the only place you really could buy dive gear was from a dive shop...so they pretty much had a loose monopoly in that regard...with their only competition being other diveshops in the area. The internet has changed the game entirely.

Some equipment companies (ScubaPro and Aqualung come immediately to mind) expressly forbid the sale of their products over the internet. Others do not. The key is whoever you choose to buy from ensures you are getting a factory warranty! This is easy to find out...simply go to the equipment website and see if they are listed as an authorized dealer. Be sure and do your homework!!!! Leisure Pro does sell a lot of brands...but they are not authorized dealers for everything they sell and you will not get factory warranty service on those items. On other items they are and the warranty is not an issue.

Some internet sales groups, Scubatoys for one, actually have brick & morter store(s), as does Diver's Direct. Others do not. Scubatoys is an authorized dealer for anything that they sell and from personal experience I can tell you they are an excellent group of people to work with.

I am all for supporting the local dive shop...to a point. I do buy some gear from local shops and even don't mind paying a bit more, however on some items the difference is absurd. What comes immediately to mind is when I bought a dive computer capable of handling trimix. Most dive stores do not stock these and understandably so, as they aren't exactly a high sales volume item. When I went to price one, several stores wanted to sell me a brand I had crossed off my list, and one tried to debate that what they could get was a lot better than what I was looking for...despite the fact I had pretty much exhaustively researched the subject and had a lot of evidence to the contrary. Another did not have them in stock, but would order me one...delivery time 3 weeks and priced 400 dollars higher than an authorized dealer on line (just the difference in having to not pay sales tax easily paid for overnight shipping with money left over). Further the internet dealer threw in a spare parts kit and case that the LDS wanted another 100 dollars to order. I asked if they would match price with the internet dealer...they would not and further the person I was talking to really got an "attitude" about my inquiry to match prices or at least get close. Needless to say you can guess who got my business.

Sure I will buy some things from an LDS...and I don't squabble over price. I bought my fins (OMS Slipstreams) from a local LDS and could have gotten them 20 dollars cheaper over the internet...but I am not going to haggle over 20 bucks and felt like I would for this price range support the shop.

On the other hand when they are marking it up into the hundreds of dollars over other sources, then they have to be prepared to deal with consumers who have done their homework. Refusal to do so is going to lose them a sale.

Actually, If I read it correctly the OP is asking a very specific and very DIFFERENT variant of the usual "LDS vs internet" question - he is specifically asking about LDS vs E-BAY purchasing.

This is a whole different can of worms...

Well, you make a good point, but I was just looking at it from the avenue of purchase, driving down the street to the LDS or taking a cyber route (internet - regardless if was e-bay or an internet dive shop).

the K

Back
Top Bottom