Buying my first suit (5mm) - advice and reco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

I'm buying my first suit. I need a 5mm, and I think I'd like a front zipped one.

What are people's recommendation on shopping for a suit? Are there brands that are consistently considered good value?

Thanks,

JD

Henderson make nice suits. Fit is the most important aspect. This may be obvious but make sure you're buying a suit thickness suitable for your coldest water temps and your personal cold tolerance levels. It's better too warm than cold. You can always cool down in a suit but it's virtually impossible to warm up if cold.

I'm not a fan of front zip suits and although only tried one once I didn't like it, it didn't seem to stem water influx as much a back zip suit.

There are different types of neoprene, Yamamoto is very highly regarded but I'm unsure if any larger manufacturers use it or not. I had a custom suit made out of it, thanks Seaquel NZ, some years ago and after several hundred dives it still looks new and hasn't lost any of its insulation. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom