Buying my first set of equipments..advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally decided to buy my own set of BCD and regulators after years of renting them, my decision is...

BCD: Mares Ariel/Dragonfly or Seaquest Libra
Regulators: Apex ATX 50 or ATX 100
Octopus: Apex ATX 40 or ATX 50.
Gauge: Scubapro 2-in-1 mini console (the depth and pressure gauge)

I primarily dive in warm waters, and looking for a set that will last me for years. Durability and ease of maintanence are important criterias in my consideration.

Before I start digging into my hard-earned savings, does anyone has any bad experiences with the above? Good experiences are welcomed too!

Thanks!

madfish:
Finally decided to buy my own set of BCD and regulators after years of renting them, my decision is...

BCD: Mares Ariel/Dragonfly or Seaquest Libra
Regulators: Apex ATX 50 or ATX 100
Octopus: Apex ATX 40 or ATX 50.
Gauge: Scubapro 2-in-1 mini console (the depth and pressure gauge)

I primarily dive in warm waters, and looking for a set that will last me for years. Durability and ease of maintanence are important criterias in my consideration.

Before I start digging into my hard-earned savings, does anyone has any bad experiences with the above? Good experiences are welcomed too!

Thanks!
I have not had any experience with that stuff. BUT you may want to check with your local dive shop if the stuff is older and used (you should have it checked out at any rate). I bought some Dacor regs and apparently Dacor had quit making them. They had to send my stuff a pretty good ways away to be serviced. But the price was right.

GoBlue!:
The ATX-50/ATX-40 combo would be great.

Jim

I'll second that. I have this setup and I love it. Easy breather at all depths, its just like breathing naturally. Also to save some money you may want to go with the ATX 40 for your primary its just like the 50 only without the fine tune knob.

For a BC I would go with the sea-quest I have the PRO QD+SL and it is great. Mares BC's have never appealed to me and I hate their integrated weight system. Also their inflators are not as responsive as I would like.

I would say the best thing on the list is the ATX50 second and octo. If you are not buying a computor, then what are you going to use to monitor bottom times? If you are going to buy a computor, then why do you need the depth gauge? I think you need to spend more time with your BC decision.

All good gear. I personally would go with a Zeagle Brigade from Scuba Toys) and get an Aeris Atmos2 wrist mount computer. I'd also keep the 2 in 1 mini gauge console. I like having a backup depth gauge.

Thanks for the advice. I already own a Suunto Mosquito computer, so a SPG is really just enough for me. At first thought, a 2-in-1 console would be a nice backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom