Buying my first set of equipment - Scubapro Equator BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Equator is a fine BC and I would like to have one and may purchase one but to be clear it is really a travel BC intended for light weight SCUBA and minimal exposure gear. N

The Equator is a fine BC and I would like to have one and may purchase one but to be clear it is really a travel BC intended for light weight SCUBA and minimal exposure gear. N

What if I'm not used at all to wing style BCs? And what do you mean by "light weight scuba and minimal exposure gear"? Which one would you buy?

Hi guys,

I've recently completed my divemaster certification and worked for a while as divemaster. Right now, I'm gonna move to Arizona and I believe I'll be diving most weekends. Even though I'm a divemaster, I still don't have a full set of equipment. I've been doing some research and I really like the Scubapro Equator BCD. What do you guys think about this BCD? Would you recommend me any other BCD?

Thanks!

Hello Antonio, congrats for your DM. I happen to own an Equator and has been using it for 1Y, after 100 dives I feel very happy about it overall.

Pros:
a. small backplate makes it pretty easy to fold and carry around on a divebag or suitcase
b. pretty comfortable fit, I dived in it on a lycra rashguard and felt no strain or discomfort on my shoulders or back.
c. integrated weights are very easy to clip and remove even in the water.
d. plenty of clips and pocket space for a travel BCD.
e. stellar quality material, after 100 dives it still looks pretty much as new.
f. dump valves work very well underwater, I rarely need to touch the inflator for dumping on any position.
g. Compact fit makes me very streamlined all the time, and teh BCD keeps you straight at surface with no effort.

Cons:
a. it is a bit on the heavy side for a travel BCD (around 3kg when dry), but it is so versatile that I do not bother. Also, the extra weight may reduce your ballast requirement.
b. I miss a handle on top of the BCD to carry it around on a shore dive, no issues for a boat dive though.

I hope this helps your decision. As for using a Backplate instead of BCD, plenty of resources and advice (requested or not) around the site, personal choice I guess.

Cheers!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom