Buying my first set of equipment - Scubapro Equator BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any thoughts on buying second hand equipment? I haven't been considering that at all but I'm open to advice.

I don't buy used at all anymore (unless it is new unused in its original box but previously owned and I know the owner).

Did you have any bad experiences?

Yes, of course. Cost me more than buying new. I wouldn't do it especially if you are a new diver without experience in knowing what to look for and how to do minor repairs.

I am not staying that it will always be a "bad" thing, it is just risky IMO. No warranty on used equipment too.

burhan, you also work for a dive shop and get access to new gear at key man rates. if i was getting 2/3 off on new gear, i would buy new too.

antonio, if you plan on diving socal, look into a bpw with a steel bp for ballast

burhan, you also work for a dive shop and get access to new gear at key man rates. if i was getting 2/3 off on new gear, i would buy new too.

antonio, if you plan on diving socal, look into a bpw with a steel bp for ballast

I work for a dive shop??? When and where?

I get keyman prices and get 2/3 of on new gear??? Nobody told me this.

Where are you getting your information from please?

I bought my 2 of my back plates and 3 of my wings used. No problems with any of them. For a BC, you can pretty easily do an oral inflate to verify that it holds air and the dumps work. If you have a tank and reg set handy, you can easily verify if the inflator works. But, even if the inflator doesn't work, they are cheap to rebuild (generally). And you might want to have it serviced anyway, which boils down to a rebuild.

I agree with Burhan when it comes to used electronics. The only electronic device I know of where the warranty transfers to a new owner is Shearwater computers. I would have no problem buying one of those used, if I wanted one. But, other computers, it would have to be super cheap for me to buy used with no warranty.

For stuff like BCDs and regulators, it's not that hard to make sure stuff is okay before you buy it. And, of course, the price still has to be low enough that, when you add on the cost of having it serviced, it's still worth it compared to buying new.

I have tried both regulators and I have used them in our dive school regulator fleet and we are partial towards SP regulators since they have been more reliable, less issues with maintenance (they last longer between service intervals) and better overall performance. The only other competitor to SP regulators that comes close or slightly better are the Atomic regulators. Nothing wrong with the AL LX however and it is still a very solid excellent performer and it is second to SP/Atomic. We have tried many different brands/models or regulators in our dive school and the universities I teach with

this is from the other thread antonio has up about buying regs. you've also had plenty of other posts pushing SP gear. you can claim not to be a shop employee, but you story stinks worse than a rental wetsuit.

this is from the other thread antonio has up about buying regs. you've also had plenty of other posts pushing SP gear. you can claim not to be a shop employee, but you story stinks worse than a rental wetsuit.

I am not a shop employee at all. Where do you see the word "dive shop" in what you quoted?? I know that public education in the US has serious problems but this is just way too much. You seem to be able to read but definitely not comprehend what you read.

I run a "dive school" NOT a dive shop!!! We don't sell equipment or anything at all, except for the training material (books). I am also a professor at two universities here and I have to buy my equipment just like anyone else does. In fact, I pay a lot more than you being in Libya and due to the devaluation of Libyan currencies, I now pay 3 times what I used to pay about a year go!!! We don't get any discounts or breaks on equipment either.

www.facebook.com/scubaquestLY

do you still teach, provide fills, and rent equipment at Scuba Quest Dive Center Libya just like most warm water dive shops? congrats, you run a dive shop. warm water dive shops in tourist areas also don't sell much gear either, so it is a moot point whether you sell gear or not, you are still are a professional in the industry running a dive shop.

if it walks and quacks ...

i also find it hilarious that you claim to be a professor and disparage public education. clearly nobody should bother attending a public institution like UC Berkeley right?

Back
Top Bottom