Buying my first gear and need some advice from seasoned pros!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I was certified in Bonaire this summer and have done 25 shore dives there, and I am now back in Chicago where I want to purchase a set of gear I can use for many years! This forum has already taught me to avoid cheap, new equipment and I'm not sure used is right for me since I am new and my sit-o is really safety conscious, so I have spent time researching local places and found a LDS I really like. So after some time there, we identified a combination from scuba pro that could work well. Their prices are less by decent bit from the companys listed MSRP. I should also note a few specific likes and dislikes from my dives so far.

all scuba pro with "lifetime warranty"

Ladyhawk model BCS, is back flotation, but the alternate air reg is built in so I don't need to buy 2 others and have them hang down
MK2 PLUS R295 regulator system
Galileo Luna wrist band dive computer with transmitter

I found while diving I hated the weight belt so I wanted that integrated, and I wanted a wrist band computer, and I dd not like looking down to check my air so I wanted the transmitter to integrate with the dive computer. so any thought are appreciated...these are by no means cheap but if I can afford them are they worth it or is there something better?

any low cost and good fitting wetsuit recommendations would also be awesome!!!

Hi, I am planning to do both. In the near future, I will explore a lot of the great lakes (so I'll need a 7-9mm wetsuit I believe). But I also plan to do additional tropical dive vacations. So I want gear that is versatile and will work well in both environments - and I did not use a wetsuit in Bonaire when I was diving so I am currently not taking that into account. Thanks!!

Scubapro offers excellent gear!

You're buying a $1000 computer and a $750 BC and pairing it with a $175 regulator? Seems a little strange to me...

The MK2 is not balanced either so will breathe harder at depth. It's also an entry level, warm water reg mostly used in rental fleets. Not the best for Great Lakes diving. Maybe look at a MK17/C300 instead. They'll be about $500ish after dealer discount. If you are going to dive in cold lake water, it's better designed for it. It's also a balanced diaphragm regulator so reliable and easier to breathe in cold (or any) water. And environmentally sealed so no gunk can get in - like lake bottom silt.

I don't even think you can get a MK2 sealed. Ambient temperature inside the reg can be colder than the water outside also as it's working. So freeze-ups or free-flows are more likely.

Let's look down the road a little. You're diving the Galileo when it fails on a dive. Maybe just one of the batteries died. So you abort the dive and decide you don't want to go thru that again w/o knowing your remaining air supply. So you decide to add a $90 pressure gauge.

But the MK2 only has one HP Port. So you can't...That's why you buy the MK17 now (or later).

Or consider a MK25 which is (arguably) ScubaPro's best 1st stage. Paired with the newer G260 2nd it's $680. With a C300 2nd it's $529. If you want to go all out the MK25/S600 is $729. $1250 in Titanium. IDK enough about ScubaPro to know which 1st is better in cold water.

btw, I'm getting these prices here: http://www.leisurepro.com/

I do like the Ladyhawk choice. I almost bought a Knighthawk once. Just liked the fit of the Zeagle Ranger better.

If you are going to be diving lake Michigan wrecks the bottom temps are going to be in the low 40's. That is reaching the point where you should be using an environmentally sealed reg. If you get a balanced piston reg that is Environmentally seald (ScubaPro, Atomic) they are sealed with Christolube which will cost you $50 to $100 just for the Christolube every time the reg is serviced. As mentioned in an earlier post diaphragm reg can be environmentally seald with the addition of a outer sealing diaphragm, many come with the kit already installed.

Call me old school but I wouldn't trust a wireless air integrated computer as my only source for tank pressure. I have one and have had enough issues not to rely on it as my sole source of psi. I like my clipped off spg as a backup/primary.

If you are really warm blooded a 7mil will work but after a couple of dives or several days of diving you will get cold.

I am not trying to be a kill joy just bringing up points that you may not be aware of as a new diver.

You definately want to look for a cold water sealed reg like diversteve mentioned.

You cna save a lot on your computer with a suunto zoop or cressi leonardo. You don't really need air integration. These computers can handle nitrox and are very simple. I have upgraded everything I originally bought but I still use my leonardo. In time I will upgrade it too, but it does what I need it to do so it is fine.

On the other hand I have very expensive cold water regs because I am diving up in the midwest.

I'm not sure what size you are and I have learned it's not polite to ask, but be cautious with integrated weights if you are doing cold water diving. I had an issue that with the thick suits I had to add a lot of weight and I was really maxing out the weight pockets. This also caused the weight to ride high on me and push my head down. I switched to a bp/w with a seperate weight harness. This allowed me to carry less weight overall because the backplate itself weighs about 8lbs and without all the extra fabric and material to float I was able to drop another few pounds. Also because the harness was separate from the wing I could adjust weights up and down on my hips to find the best balance.

Warm water this doesn't mater much because you won't have to carry a lot of lead. I'm just a big floaty person :)

Thanks, everyone, you have given me some REALLY helpful information to take to my second conversation at the dive shop. It sounds like it would be a mistake not to switch to a balanced diaphram regulator.

A couple other questions for you great experts -
If I were to bypass the aireless air integration, what dive computer would you recommend for a beginner, but a beginner who wants a god model with built in compass and a very user friendly interface and, of course, something that can manage nitrox, etc. It looks like I'll be spending more on core gear so I may need to cut back on the cost of the computer.

I agree on getting a better Scubapro reg. I would recommend the Scubapro MK17/G260.

I would either go w/ a used Scubapro Galileo ( air integrated for less money used ) or a XP-10 dive computer w/ a SPG & compass. The XP-10 meets your needs.

Back
Top Bottom