Buying Gear Online vs Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacYankee86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys!
Good stuff on the forums here, keep up the good work!
I was wondering what is better: buy equipment online (ebay, liesure pro, etc...) or a local dive shop? I have heard arguments from both sides, and I do not know what to think.
I have been diving for a number of years, and I am finally ready to buy equipment, but not sure how to get it.
Thanks for the help!
Gordon

Welcome to :sblogo: :popcorn:

I have never said this before but, please do a search on this topic. It comes up once a week and always turns into a flame war. Merry X-mas.

Opps! I figured it would be a sticky since it was an important topic...or hotly debated...
Sorry 'bout that...(*duh* the search engine...)
Gordon

With umpteen gazillion posts on the topic of "local vs mailorder" showing up on a search, it may be better to point out some of the more comprehensive posts on the subject. Since I don't usually follow that particular topic perhaps someone would like to chime in with the most notable post links.
That being said, if you're lucky enough to have a good reliable shop near you, by all means spend your $$ there even if it is a little bit more.
I'm a hardcore penny pincher & shelling out a couple extra bucks is fine with me because I know & like the people.
If they're rude, crude, and/or treat you like a lump of doggie doodoo, go online.

Welcome to Scubaboard MacYankee....I see you already have responses to your LDS vs. Online question. Good Luck with your decisions, you may also want to search/read the gear forums to get more info before you purchase. Many Opinions here (Good, Bad and Ugly!)

Yankee,

This is one time that "do a search" is not that bad of a response because this topic gets heated so quickly. But try doing a subject line search on "gray market". That's one aspect of the debate you'll want to read up on.

I bought my annual service items, regs and BCD from my LDS, almost everything else, online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom