Buying Gear off Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey just curious, basically with BCD's and items that need to fit properly, is there pretty much a univeral sizing?? Like say a XL for one brand fits me perfect in store. If i go and buy a BCD off the internet thats and XL will it fit the same?? Im looking to buy off the internet cause ive found it cheaper so just want your guys imput on this. And what bradns of BCD's would you guys recomend?? Im just starting out but dont necesarily want to go cheap. (oh on a sidenote one site said that XL's fell into the category of up to 240lbs which i just fit in, and then it says its for waist sizes 40" to 48").... well im 243 6'2" so all that works out, but my waiste size is 33", is that waist size thing inacurate??

also different styles of BCs fit differently, even different models of the same brand and size.

Cafka:
I would go to a Sport Chalet or your LDS and try it on for size first, then order it off the internet.
Some people (myself included) think that's tacky. I think if you take advantage of a shop to try stuff on and find what you're looking for then you should buy it there. If you want to do mail order that's fine, but then do it that way and be prepared to send things back and eat the shipping if it's not right.

Damselfish:
Some people (myself included) think that's tacky. I think if you take advantage of a shop to try stuff on and find what you're looking for then you should buy it there. If you want to do mail order that's fine, but then do it that way and be prepared to send things back and eat the shipping if it's not right.

I don't see it as tacky. You're not going to buy all your stuff at one shop anyway, if you're just getting started you should visit at least 3 or 4, because normally they carry different brands and models, and hear various opinions - then you decide.
I'm pretty sure most shop owners would rather have you visit so they can show you their other products and have a chance to make their sales pitch including upcoming trips etc.
If I'm in the market for critical piece of equipment I may visit 6 or 7 shops and often I end up buying other unplanned accessories.
A shop owner's #1 problem is to get a potential customer to look at his goods.
Also I'd say that the buyer that is being selective is the one that takes his hobby seriously and will be coming back for more over the years.

canadian_mofo:
XL's fell into the category of up to 240lbs which i just fit in, and then it says its for waist sizes 40" to 48").... well im 243 6'2" so all that works out, but my waiste size is 33", is that waist size thing inacurate??
As BC's get bigger the waist size is what changes the most, so with a waist size of 33" most XL BC's would be very large on you and a large would be just fine.

Or before someone else says it go with my personel favorite of a BP/W then sizing isn't important because the harness is always custom and 6'2" is a not tall enough to really need a custom plate.

miketsp:
I don't see it as tacky. You're not going to buy all your stuff at one shop anyway, if you're just getting started you should visit at least 3 or 4, because normally they carry different brands and models, and hear various opinions - then you decide.
I'm pretty sure most shop owners would rather have you visit so they can show you their other products and have a chance to make their sales pitch including upcoming trips etc.
If I'm in the market for critical piece of equipment I may visit 6 or 7 shops and often I end up buying other unplanned accessories.
Also I'd say that the buyer that is being selective is the one that takes his hobby seriously and will be coming back for more over the years.

Yeah, its tacky.

miketsp:
Sure you should try as many things as many places as you can, and obviously if you try BCs at a bunch of shops you're not going to buy one at each! And I know it won't out that you always buy stuff everyplace you shop and I said nothing about buying everything in one place. I also understand sometimes it's just not going to work out locally, because they don't have what you need, they're jerks, or whatever. But what I'm talking about is going into a shop with the express intent of trying on their stuff so you know what to order on the net and no intention of even giving them a chance.

Damselfish:
Sure you should try as many things as many places as you can, and obviously if you try BCs at a bunch of shops you're not going to buy one at each.
..snip..
But what I'm talking about is going into a shop with the express intent of trying on their stuff so you know what to order on the net and no intention of even giving them a chance.

OK but I normally give the guy a chance. I normally tell him that I want to see a certain product and that I've seen it advertised elsewhere at a certain price. A couple of times I've seen something advertised on the Internet, that looked like a bargain and then when I went into the shop to see it, the shopowner explained that what I was looking for was a discontinued model or sold me on the benefits of another option, or offered me better payment terms, or an extended warranty etc, or just plain simply bettered his price to the point where the difference wasn't worth the hassle and the risk.

No one ever refused to serve me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom