Buying gear in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I went to Cozumel and didn't realize most of the shops are closed on Sunday. On my next trip, I was wondering if there are any dive shops that offer great deals on gear. One would figure the shops are bound by the price protected products being in Mexico and all. Are there shops with deals better than Leisurepro out there anywhere? I heard Leisurepro buys them in Europe and sells them here. Why not mexico?

bober99:
I went to Cozumel and didn't realize most of the shops are closed on Sunday. On my next trip, I was wondering if there are any dive shops that offer great deals on gear. One would figure the shops are bound by the price protected products being in Mexico and all. Are there shops with deals better than Leisurepro out there anywhere? I heard Leisurepro buys them in Europe and sells them here. Why not mexico?

This is an island and a tourist destination. You are not going to get good prices or variety on gear here.

Why? Importing anything to Mexico is a PIA and expensive. However, good news at DEMA was that a few of the equipment manufacturers are putting warehouses in MX...which may give us alot more options.

forgetabout

ditto all above,
your best choice is to wait unitl one of the local dive shops has their annual "rummage sales".
You're here in the Dallas area aren't you? Dive West and Aqua Adventures both have good annual sales, they are both usually after the first of the year. both shops are on Greenville Ave. in Dallas, stop by or go to their websites and get on their mailing list and you will be notified of upcomming sales. I'm not sure if Tucker's in Grand Prairie has a rummage sale, but they have always had reasonable prices.
there are some good buys on the web sometimes, but it makes me nervouse to buy something that my life could depend on through the mail

Moral of the story...buy at home...Dive in Mexico.

Not true. I think that a lot of the European brands are cheaper cuz they don't pay the US tarrifs. The US brands are more expensive. Look at Cressi, Dacor and Mares for better prices. First choice is to buy cheap on the web.
adios

Back
Top Bottom