Buying gear from Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I discovered most of the scuba stuff I picked up from ebay was from dive shops also selling over the web. I have a preference for new/never used. My experience was good. I did direct business with their web sites later. Overall, the advice about seller ratings is good. Read the comments.

I saved bucks on some items but not all. Do your research and avoid being impulsive.

As for used regulators and tanks, by the time you pay for servicing on the reg and shipping and a hydro on the tanks --- you might not save anything.

Be sure to consider the complete picture - shipping - servicing - warranty - utility - and price.

Ebay has its place. I have purchased reels, manifolds for doubles, flags, etc. - gear that I do not consider basic life support gear off of ebay with no problems. When you start talking about regs, wings, and computers, I consider that life support gear and - personally - would not consider buying on ebay. For gear like this, stick with a local dive shop. Even if you wind up paying $100 more for something like a reg, you always have the lds to fall back on for service and support. I cannot count the number of times I have received on the spot repairs from lds on my regs (and i have a lot of them) free of charge.

Some things are worth paying a bit extra for. As far as one of the previous comments, about sending the regs to ScubaToys - fine, they may do good work, but you have to pack it up, ship it out, wait for gear to be serviced, then has to be sent back. That is just silly - depending on your access to a lds.

Ebay is no different then a flea market or garage sale. You can find some good deals and not so good deals. No matter the real or perceived savings I personally don't feel comfortable buying dive gear from any of these sources unless I intend to use them as a wall hanging. Just my opinion.

When I drop my regs off at my LDS, I have to wait to get them serviced...and it usually takes longer than ScubaToys...and it always costs more.

And how is a BC or computer life support equipment? People dove without them for years.

Sounds like LDS propaganda to me. Most of the stuff being sold on ebay is people like you and me upgrading and selling old equipment or dive shops who also deal on ebay. I don't think sinister people selling bunk scuba gear to kill people is a realistic concern. If someone has thousands of positive feedback, they probably do a lot more business than your LDS does anyway...

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
When I drop my regs off at my LDS, I have to wait to get them serviced...and it usually takes longer than ScubaToys...and it always costs more.

And how is a BC or computer life support equipment? People dove without them for years.

Sounds like LDS propaganda to me. Most of the stuff being sold on ebay is people like you and me upgrading and selling old equipment or dive shops who also deal on ebay. I don't think sinister people selling bunk scuba gear to kill people is a realistic concern. If someone has thousands of positive feedback, they probably do a lot more business than your LDS does anyway...

First off, please stop w/ the LDS propaganda comments. The argument is old and does not apply here. If I drop my regs off for annual service, I wait about a week, especially if I drop off all 6 sets and have a few re-cleaned for 02 service. What I was referring to were spot repairs and immediate service. I have had pleanty of times over the years where I have just stopped in to my LDS and had a reg or 2 fixed on the spot w/ no charge while I wait.

As far as wings go - I consider them to be life-support items. W/ a tech rig w/ deco bottles and steel tanks, a wing failure has the potential to be a major problem - even when wearing a DS and having lift bags available.

I made no comments about "sinister people" don't know WhereTF you got that. My point is that w/ "what I consider" life support gear, I would rather purchase local, """NEW""", with a full warranty, and from someone that, if something goes wrong, my wife could go after with a vengance....

Ebay rocks-But let the buyer beware. Know about the gear you are bidding on, see what comparable items sell for before bidding, and don't get carried away when bidding. Decide ahead of time how high you are going. Many used items sell as much as new items would cost. But there are great bargains to be had. I have made hundreds of purchases and have had good experiences with Ebay. When in doubt, don't bid.

i dive scuba for work and have brought several items from regs, tanks, bc's . and saved tons of money dont get me wrong i supporty my lds as well and mine has no problem servicing any reg i bring. if the dive store is charging you alot of money for service tell em youll shop else where. customer service is key to getting repeat business. treat a guy wrong or rip him off and youll loose ten times that amount of people just with word of mouth. if some one treats me right i recommend them if they wrong me i go out of my way to make sure they feel it in the wallet. i know several people in my line of work and it pays to treat us good cause we buy more than the average joe. anyhow juts go with the proven scuba gear read up before ya buy and check out experienced divers to see what they are using . chances are if its something that has lasted them along time its worth buying. what ever ya do get your gear serviced before you begin your diving season and at the end of it . it will treat you as goos as you treat it .

i deal with leisure pros online . why would i buy cressi sub fins for 125 bucks from the local dive store or buy em offline for 42.95 same product. and its money out of my pocket. i worked at a local dive store and i know what the mark up is .

VinceDS:
First off, please stop w/ the LDS propaganda comments. The argument is old and does not apply here.

Ummmm...no. I disagree completely and I'll comment about what I like.

I think the perception that buying used scuba gear is dangerous is perpetrated by LDS's. I have seen some crazy stuff said by LDS's to scare people away from Internet sales. And ebay?!?!? Oh my god you'd have to be CRAZY to risk your LIFE buying off of ebay!!!

It's a lame attempt to try to maintain their chokehold on overpriced scuba sales and limit any interest in used gear. These myths hurt consumers on both ends. In the first place, the LDS charges ridiculously inflated rates to the consumer, and then they limit the consumer's ability to reclaim much of their investment when they sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom