Buying first regs set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where would I find that?

Probably a better source would be to reach out to people on SB that collect and repair old regulators. Some examples are, @couv , @halocline , @Fishpie , and @buddhasummer , would be people I would trust purchasing a used regulator from. There are others members on here that I would also trust so this is not an exhaustive list by any means.

Last edited:
Alright well if someone knowledgeable wants to sell me a used kit of regs and tubes and tools I would need to work with them and switch them around I am in the market!

Alright well if someone knowledgeable wants to sell me a used kit of regs and tubes and tools I would need to work with them and switch them around I am in the market!

Tubes? Hoses? The only tools you need to switch between SM and BM doubles configuractions are wrench(es) and an Allen key for the port plugs (if needed).

Ebay, Craigslist, CDF, Facebook

The used reg game can be a crap shoot. I have a weak spot for used Poseidon regs. I can't resist a good deal when they pop up.

Having said that, do you really want to add one more variable to the mix when you are just about to take a pretty big leap into technical dive training? Do you really know what to look for buyin a used reg? Some of those early sp regs have subtle differences between models and some might have been upgraded, and some not.

Do you have a reliable source of parts? And a reliable source of training and mentoring?

Hi @CaveSloth,

One of my hobbies is buying and rebuilding older SP regulators. I certainly have a lot of MK10s that I can rebuild or sell with a rebuild kit if you want to DIY. I may have a G250 or two also, but will have to check.

I should be home in a few days so PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

Couv

Hi @CaveSloth,

One of my hobbies is buying and rebuilding older SP regulators. I certainly have a lot of MK10s that I can rebuild or sell with a rebuild kit if you want to DIY. I may have a G250 or two also, but will have to check.

I should be home in a few days so PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

Couv

If you are worried about the service kits for the mk10/G250 that is just marketing crap from other manufacturers. Vintage Double Hose Regulator sells them.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Are you guys offering to help the op out with rebuild training, tips, trouble shooting and tuning advice? If you are, that's great! I just know it can be hard to get people to give you that kind of help when you have not gotten past the "new person, trust" dynamic. Seems like some hesitate to pass on knowledge for whatever reason. Liability maybe?

In any case, I am in no way against self service, or reworking used gear. I just question this for someone just jumping into tech training.

I dive with stages, safety and deco bottles, so it's pretty easy to put a rebuilt regulator on a stage to test out and still have the comfort and extra redundancy of my back gas regs.

From the OPs handle, I suspect overhead training is in the works. Diving into equipment service at the same time? Ok...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom