Buying first regs set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just question this for someone just jumping into tech training. From the OPs handle, I suspect overhead training is in the works. Diving into equipment service at the same time? Ok...

There is a whole body of knowledge on regulator repair in the DIY section thanks to the usual suspects. Another great resource is Vintage Double Hose, not only to they sell parts but have various service manuals linked to their website. Bryan even has a video on how to rebuild a G-250 on YouTube.

I know where you are coming from, but regulator repair is a hobby in and of itself and is something the OP can do when he is not diving. As a technical diver he needs to know about regulators and how to fix them. It gets expensive fast if you need to service multiple sets of regulators at the dive shop. I recommended some of the "Usual Suspects" because most have items to sell in dive-able condition if the OP doesn't want to service them himself. The G-250/MK-10 is good set because there are aftermarket parts available.

I would not recommend buying a used regulator for divers that do not want to get into self-service because it would not save anything. For example if buying a G-250/MK-10 off eBay for $150, then take it to a dive shop for a rebuild $100, plus buy the din adaptor $40, you are at $290. You can buy the Deep6 DGX version for $250.

I have a couple of G200B 2nd stages I'd be happy to sell. They are the same as the G250 except there is no external breathing resistance adjustment. Both of mine are serviced and ready to dive. I won't be home for a while so if you need them quickly you may want to look elsewhere. PM me if you want more details.

I do have 2 MK10s I could sell but they would both be yoke. Unfortunately I don't have any extra DIN kits and those are not cheap. Sometimes you can find them on the auction sites.If couv's MK10s are DIN, that would be a good source.

You can save some money by just switching a few hoses (which is very easy) to go between sidemount and backmount. If you do get into self servicing and using older regulators, you'll be able to find them cheaply enough so that it won't cost much more to get a set of regs for each.

Many of the regular posters on this forum are knowledgeable about regulator servicing and generous with their knowledge. If you can do things like home plumbing, you probably have the requisite mechanical skills, and it's just a matter of being careful, maybe getting a book or two, a few inexpensive special tools, and asking for help when you need it. It ain't rocket science.

I know where you are coming from, but regulator repair is a hobby in and of itself and is something the OP can do when he is not diving. As a technical diver he needs to know about regulators and how to fix them. It gets expensive fast if you need to service multiple sets of regulators at the dive shop.

I would challenge the term "Needs". Perhaps "should know" is better. I have encountered many very active technical/cave divers who know very little about how to trouble shoot a set of regs, let alone service or rebuild. Many shops even outsource this work. Even a basic task such as checking the IP is something I have had to show several divers who hold advanced level certifications. *why is this not a skill covered in tech training?

I would not recommend buying a used regulator for divers that do not want to get into self-service because it would not save anything. For example if buying a G-250/MK-10 off eBay for $150, then take it to a dive shop for a rebuild $100, plus buy the din adaptor $40, you are at $290. You can buy the Deep6 DGX version for $250.

Agreed. I got into reg service, because I like to know how things work, and I want an extra level of safety being able to test and trouble shoot my gear. I will quickly pull a first or second stage out of service at the first sign of excess IP creep, or when a 2nd stage just "doesn't feel right".

To me this is an alternative to just handing all my regs over for service every 1/2 years. I like tools, and tend to buy the "right tool for the job" even when you can probably get away without it. A magnahelic is a good example. A nice bench top mag/IP gauge set from scubatools is in the $300 range when a cheap $20 gauge and a bucket of water will work. I like having the nice equipment, and I do trust the larger IP gauge more. IMHO it's worth the investment when I tend to rebuild several regs at a time.

I might just be at the break even point on cost of tools/training vs paying for reg repair. .... but who's counting. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any extra DIN kits and those are not cheap. Sometimes you can find them on the auction sites.If couv's MK10s are DIN, that would be a good source.

Best places for DIN kits is Amazon.com. Currently, they are around $40 but if you watch they sometimes drop below $30. I picked up several for around $25, a year or so ago.

I would challenge the term "Needs". Perhaps "should know" is better. I have encountered many very active technical/cave divers who know very little about how to trouble shoot a set of regs, let alone service or rebuild. Many shops even outsource this work. Even a basic task such as checking the IP is something I have had to show several divers who hold advanced level certifications. *why is this not a skill covered in tech training?

I agree that "should know" is a better choice of words than "needs". After all you really don't need to know how to trouble shoot or rebuild a regulator in order to dive one. However, I think we both agree it is a useful skill. I once asked on the cave diving site how many regulators are needed for technical or cave diving. The answers were all over the place but the range was 6-8: singles set, doubles set, 2 stages, plus O2 set. If doing expedition type diving then the answer is one more than you have. It gets pricey to have then all serviced, which you know.

Dive shops are a business, so they are out to make a profit. Gear repair may not be cost effective for some shops, so they send out the regulators. Also I am not sure if a shop needs an additional insurance policy to cover the liability of repairing regulators. As to why the skill is not taught, I am sure it is if you take the proper course after all the dive agencies are also out to make money.

BTW, Scubatools is a great source of tools but you can often find them for less on eBay. I have 2 Magnahelics and I don't think I paid more than $30 for either one. They were both brand new off eBay. Anything scuba gets marked up tremendously when buying from a scuba vendor.

I am the type who likes to maintain my gear myself, so definitely interested in learning, as I think when you really know how your gear works you can tune it to be safer and more comfortable to use.

You should probably get more dives under your belt before you approach technical diving.

There are so many places you can dive with a single or set of doubles before needing to go deeper or go to more dangerous environments.

I am the type who likes to maintain my gear myself, so definitely interested in learning, as I think when you really know how your gear works you can tune it to be safer and more comfortable to use.

If you want to self-service then you need a supply of parts. Most manufacturers do not sell parts directly to divers, the ones that do are Dive Rite, HOG, Deep 6, Zeagle, Poseidon and UTD. For other regulators you need to check Amazon, eBay, or a dive shop friendly to DIYers. For older regulators (and some newer ones) you can get parts from Vintage Double Hose (VDH) or Northeast Scuba Supply (NESS).

Tools are easier to come by, Scubatools will sell to anyone.

My recommendation is to standardize your sets so you don't need a lot of different tools or parts kits.

Back
Top Bottom