Buying First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw a good offer of the core today. But my long term plans are some tech training up to 50m in the mid term.

@tbone1004 IIRC in another thread I read a while back you said an adjustable 2nd stage is useful if diving deeper than 40m because regs tend to free flow slightly at depth and the adjuster can be useful to dial-in the cracking pressure.

The core supreme does not have an adjuster dial - only a venturi switch ( not sure if it’s binary on/off of can be dialled in). Do you think its worthwhile getting the core supreme for depths up to 50-60m max?
I would personally yes. I wouldn't get an Aqualung to do that but it has nothing to do with their capability just a backwards value proposition based on the cost.

Hi
Not sure I I understood fully…
I would personally yes.

Meaning you would prefer a reg with an adjuster?

I wouldn't get an Aqualung to do that but it has nothing to do with their capability just a backwards value proposition based on the cost.

So for my situation …
If I get the core -
-this one is going to be $100 cheaper than the other one
-Local buy local servicing in my town/city
-Aqualung parts for life program is useful

If I get the mares with adjuster
-Import with customs duty making it $100 more expensive
-No local service center in-country, Will have to compulsory travel International before a due date every year just for inspection (IP check etc ) and complete overhaul every 2nd year. But that’s my life plan anyways unless COVID issue persists and affects travel…
- can get it checked locally by other brand vendor technicians but will lose warranty if not done by authorised service tech.

So should I just rely on the Venturi switch to deal with any potential issues? Gonna need more regs for stage bottles or doubles anyways but that’s not the point it’s about maximising value of investment.

Since the core is an older product I did not find a depth rating spec for it easily.

PS: In reality I can afford the more expensive Mares so I guess it’s only about not having a local authorised service tech.,

Edit: Just found this bit in the manual for the Core:
Warnings:
In compliance with the EN250:2014 standard, a demand regulator fitted with an Octopus, used by more than one diver at a time, must not be used at depths greater than 30m and in water at temperatures under 10°C.

In compliance with the EN250:2014 standard, demand regulators fitted with an Octopus were tested to 50m for individual use and to 30m for shared use.

So for my situation …
If I get the core -
-this one is going to be $100 cheaper than the other one
-Local buy local servicing in my town/city
-Aqualung parts for life program is useful

If I get the mares with adjuster
-Import with customs duty making it $100 more expensive
-No local service center in-country, Will have to compulsory travel International before a due date every year just for inspection (IP check etc ) and complete overhaul every 2nd year. But that’s my life plan anyways unless COVID issue persists and affects travel…
- can get it checked locally by other brand vendor technicians but will lose warranty if not done by authorised service tech
I'm not sure that either the Aqualung or the Mares are best for you. You should really post a new thread instead of jumping on the back of older threads.

Please provide as much info as possible on your situation and future plans. For example, what you can purchase and get serviced locally (or at a location where you will regularly be diving). And if you are planning on progressing to technical diving, it would be useful to find out what the people you will be diving with use.

@Pearlman I would certainly prefer a reg with adjustment knob. Depending on pricing I would look at Apeks XTX50 with DST first stage given your location.
But wait, your Poseidons don't have a knob? :D

My Jetstreams have a dive/predive switch which provides similar function :p
Just got done servicing a couple of old JS and installing the new valve inserts and man I do love some Poseidons!!! Cracking is around 1 (actually just under)... I have 4 Cyklon seconds I'm working on as well.

Back
Top Bottom