Buying First Dive Computer, couple of silly Q's....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nath1772

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All

hope you can help, i'm new to the forum and this is the first post i've sent so bare with me if this is a bit simple, or has been covered before.

I am shortly going to be starting a DM internship but currently dont own a computer. I'm obviously looking to buy my first and have done a bit of research, but have read varying things on SB and to be honest don't know where to start...

so...

1) what would anyone recommend in terms of the computer software bundled in? I want to be able to use the software to make sure my log book is maintained and accurate following dives, in case it is not logged immediately.
2) i'm looking for a wrist mounted unit, cheap enough but with enough features to make it usable through DM/IDC and so on.

looking around there are literally 100's of options out there!!!

any help?

Thanks in Advance,
Nathan

Last edited:
I went through the same mess. I wanted one that did air and Nitrox with selectable PO2 settings. Ended up with an Aeris XR-2. It works fine and has a user replaceable battery, that is a definite plus. Has the usual dive log memory also. Good luck in your quest as there are a lot of choices out there.

Some manufacturers, like for example Suunto, have online simulators on their website. This way you can try before you buy. It is a good way to check out the functionality. But of course ideally you should try out different watches underwater before you decide.

I think pretty much any of the reputable manufacturers make at least one dive computer that meets your requirements.
I use Suunto computers with third-party dive-logging software (MacDive) on my Mac. The system works great, but it's not the only workable system out there.

When it comes to dive computers...
Try before you buy. Often times, dive computer rental units can give you an idea about how intuitive menu navigation is. For this reason, renting from a couple of different shops might make sense. Some dive shops will allow you to test out demo units in a pool.

Since you'll be training with one or more instructors...ask them for some "advice" and then drop hints about borrowing one of their computers.

Alternatively, you could expand your dive circle by joining a local dive club. Often times, people are only too happy to let a fellow diver demo their gear for a dive or two.

If you plan on working as a DM for your dive shop, ask the manager/owner about the possibility of getting a Keyman (or other significant) discount on a dive computer. Generally, such discounts aren't handed out to DMs-in-training, but perhaps it's a deal you can access once you start working as a full-fledged DM. Bear in mind that, in most cases, in order to access a Keyman deal, the dive shop has to sell the company's products (can't Keyman Scubapro regs if the dive shop you work for only sells Aqualung/Apeks). You could buy a cheapo used dive computer to use in the meantime.

FYI, Keyman discounts are big. Some manufacturers will sell gear under Keyman pricing at less than 50% of the MSRP. It completely alters the price-to-value ratio from the perspective of the dive pro, who can pay low-end prices for top-of-the-line gear. It's a practice that benefits the dive pro (who gets an amazing deal), the manufacturer (that gets free advertising), and the dive shop (that also gets free advertising). Students see instructors/DMs using the newest, shiniest unobtanium regulator and, for some reason, they must have the same thing.

In fact, Keyman pricing is so good that one could purchase a new regulator at the discounted price, use it for a year, and sell it on the "used" market while still making a modest profit. If you think you're going to be a full-fledged working DM affiliated with a dive shop, it might make sense to hold off on any "big" gear purchases until you can access such discounts.

Hope this helps...

Suunto has the better software for keeping a dive log.

I think the Aladin Tec2g is a great computer, if you're young enough to have eyesight. I thought the menu was reasonably intuitive (although I could never remember how to reset the average depth underwater) and the logging software was the best I've ever found. The computers can be found occasionally on sale for less than $300, but if your shop carries the brand, they may give you a similar price as a DM.

Back
Top Bottom