Buying first BC - Preferably Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuri_RP

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first BC, and would really like it to be a Travel BC so that I can just take it on as Carry-On Baggage.
Currently considering : Cressi Travelight/Air Travel + Aqualung Zuma + Zeagle Covert/Stiletto/Express Tech Deluxe + Mares F-Light/Hybrid Pure + Scubapro Go + Aeris Jetpack
I'm leaning towards Aeris Jetpack for it's Backpack-like function. But I would really like more expert/experienced opinion from this selections of BCs. Also maybe other suggestions of BCs beside my listed ones.
Also I weigh 105 kg and my height is 178 cm. Will any of this BCs pose a problem for my build?
I live in Indonesia, so will be mostly diving in Tropical Water. Also maybe some of these listed BCs will be quite hard to find in my country.

Thank you for you help, would really be grateful.

Regards,

I would narrow the selection process to the ones that you can get. Find out what is available in or shipped to your area. If it has to be shipped to your location that could add considerably to the cost and if you do not like it or it is the wrong size the return shipping could add even more cost.

As a new diver you might want to wait with gear purchases because you do not know what you do not know. Try different BC's if possible.

I dive a Zuma when traveling. Great BC, light weight & flexible. Where the cam strap is (lower down) makes the unit very stable. The only minus to the Zuma is that it does not have upper trim weight pockets & since the weight is all near the waist, it tends to pull the hips/ legs down.

As with any gear you buy, you should outline the features you want, rank them in importance and then find what best meets your wants.

IF I were to buy a BCD that was used primarily for travel, I think I'd list the following features:

a. Dives well -- as in I dive well with it -- helps me trim properly, doesn't get in my way [MOST important]

b. Light weight [important]

c. Easily packable OR self-carry (as in makes itself into a backpack) [important]

d. Value priced [somewhat important]

e. ???

I'm very much a fan of the back plate/wing system as it serves "a" very well (my most important feature); it is light weight (aluminum or plastic plate/cambands/small wing should have a dry weight around 5-6 pounds -- which may be around 2 pounds negative in the water); easily packable since it is modular and/or can be converted into a backpack pretty easily with a little "do it yourself" work (attached "draw string" type bag to the plate and put wing and cambands into it along with mask, regs, and fins); the system tends to be one of the least expensive.

YMMV

I dive a Zuma when traveling. Great BC, light weight & flexible. Where the cam strap is (lower down) makes the unit very stable. The only minus to the Zuma is that it does not have upper trim weight pockets & since the weight is all near the waist, it tends to pull the hips/ legs down.
Of these
XSSTB.jpg

and a couple of theses
images

solves the problem.

Thanks for all the feedback.

As for waiting out to buy the gear, my city (Palembang, Indonesia) doesn't have a dive site, so training for the certification will be mostly done on the pool, as a side effect, there isn't any dive shop at all in my city, so it isn't possible for me to "try and fit" the diving gear.
I will have to order the items online from my capital city of Jakarta, or maybe buy it when I travel to Jakarta. Importing from overseas will costs a lot more because of Customs Tax.
The thing is, as I am quite large for a man in my country, the equipment available in the Training Pool barely fits me at all (had to come early not to miss out on 1 of only 2 XL sized BCD, no XXL at all) , they're also very worn out and leaking (mask is leaking, 45-46 fin only 2 available).
When it's a crowded day, it's pretty sure that I won't have the gear at all.
The Instructor suggested that I buy my own equipment. That's why I'm looking for info and suggestions here from more experienced diver.

About the Back Plate/Wing System. Is it suitable for a novice diver? Are the costs more expensive? Maybe you can point me out to the right direction here, still needs lots of reading done.

Will be waiting for more feedback. Gonna start training tomorrow in hopefully a correctly sized gear (gotta go early then......) :)

Edit 1 : We have Cressi, Mares, ScubaPro, AquaLung, Zeagle, Beauchat, Sherwood, Aeris, Oceanic and Hollis distributor in my country. I believe there won't be any problems procuring one of those brand, even though most of the Travel BC had to be pre-ordered first.

Why don't you contact some of the shops in Jakarta for a package deal and then come back for a debate/discussion?
ScubaPro Mk 2 reg is a established, respected and reliable work horse and it is the cheapest in SP range.
Mares Quattro fin is another example.
Zeagle back inflated bc is also reputable.
If you need computer then Aeris, Cressi, Mares and Oceanic all have entry level model to choose.
Is BP/W suitable for beginner? Yes and NO. You really need someone to guide you through especially on weight distribution.
I hate to be in your position.
Good luck.

Yes, will do that..

After reading a lot, BP/W seems to be better than Jacket/Backmounted BCD.. Should I go for that..?
There is DiveRite distributor in Jakarta. And it seems they have most the items listed on the Dive Rite website.
Maybe tomorrow I will ask my instructor first, whether I should use a standard BCD or will he train me in using BP/W..

Edit 1 : BTW, should I use One Brand for all the geasr? Or is it better if I mix and match..? Currently in my thought it is better if I use One Brand for all the gears mainly because it will look good with all the same brand on every parts. :D But I believe to get the best parts, I will have to mix and match don't I..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom