Buying a used Oneill Drysuit, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,
Found a guy in my area selling an Oneill drysuit with the wrist, ankle, and neck gaskets for $70. This seems to be a very good deal, and while I don't necessarily need a drysuit, one would certainly extend my dive season quite a bit. He says it's leak free, but obviously I don't know that for sure.

So, my questions are:

What red flags should I look for?
How do I know if I'm getting a good suit or a piece of junk?
Is the Oneill Drysuit even good to start with?
How fixable is it if it does have a leak?
Should I get a drysuit course before using it?
I've been told by an older diver that I consider something of a mentor that down to 30-40 feet, you don't need air in your drysuit. That being said, he dives a neopreme drysuit, and says that pinches less than a trilaminar one. So, thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to hear your advice

Edit: I think it's an O'Neill boost

This suit is not for diving...

1728252831635.png

This suit is not for diving...
O’Neill once made a line of great neoprene scuba dry suits decades ago, originating with the Super-suit — not those flimsy, current surf offerings.

The problem for the OP is how degraded that rubber has become, over thirty or more years — if that’s what he or she was talking about.

Here’s a shot of the late-great meaty, beefy, big and bouncy Jack . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 5
@Endler's Well I'll be jiggered. It's listed on Amazon under Sports>Water Sports>Diving and Snorkeling>Diving Suits>Drysuits, and that disclaimer isn't anywhere on amazon's page. That feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

@Endler's Well I'll be jiggered. It's listed on Amazon under Sports>Water Sports>Diving and Snorkeling>Diving Suits>Drysuits, and that disclaimer isn't anywhere on amazon's page. That feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
You are missing a key part. Look as the seller. Pretty sure it is NOT amazon. They are just the broker for the transaction. The listing is likely built by the seller, not Amazon as well.

I recently got a racing helmet off Amazon. But of a specialty item. So go to the manufacturer's website, get the real deal on the info, then back to Amazon to broker the deal. That's how you have to play the game.

Two things.
First, it is NOT a suit for diving. It does not have a hose connection or a dump walve. The manufacturers page and the few retail webstores all state that it is not for diving, but for sports on and above the surface. Using this for diving is just a very very bad idea, so just don't.
Second, when some used item is sold for 1/5 to 1/10 of the price of a new item, it sounds a bit TOO cheap to my taste. With a very low price I get the feeling that either the original product is not very good, the item for sale is in bad condition or the whole sale is a scam.
(This from my own limited experience dealing with a pretty active used scuba gear market here on our side of that big puddle called the Atlantic.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom