Buying a used Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought a couple used drysuits in my day, and have known others who have.
Used drysuits have pretty poor resale value, especially women's suits.
When I buy a suit off Ebay and cannot look at the suit myself, I will assume:
1. It needs full seals
2. It needs a pressure check, minor leak fixes
3. It may have a major repair needed (like zipper)
Note: above assumptions could be waived if conclusive proof is provided of a brand new component or current pressure check.

I then add up the total of the above and and subtract that from a comparable price of other known suits I can look at and know the condition. After considering all that I MAY have to pay to get the suit in prime condition, I'd need to pay another 50$ -$200 (depending on total cost of suit) as compared to a suit "in hand" from a local dealer or private party. This insures I will not come out behind even in the worst case scenario.

The end fact for me is I have to get a SCREAMING deal to buy a suit with little reliable information on condition, etc. (And it can be done...my first DUI TLS 350 was bought for $300 used)

Interesting fact:
Many of the suits for sale on Ebay are resales of someone who bought a suit wrong size for them. If you are buying a used suit, be sure you know your size and preferably have tried one on before. (Another advantage of buying from your LDS.)

And the difference in price is $300 on Craigslist, and $500+tax at the LDS.
So, that's a big difference. Yeah, it's only $200, but its also almost twice as much. So, in this case, I would at least talk to the Craigslist guy first. Tell him you like the suit, want to buy, but are concerned about fit and leakage. Tell him you are a serious buyer, but just want to dive it first. See what he says. Based on that, I'd either pursue it with him, or just go to the LDS - assuming they will provide the comfort (in the deal) you are seeking.

Fnd out if your LDS is offering any kind of warranty on the suit. If they are, go for that one. Unless you are good at doing your own repairs, anything you have to fix on a suit is going to cost you a fair amount of that $200, as well as a bunch of time without access to the suit.

i think the main thing is fit. i had a friend give me his third-string drysuit. however, to fit me it would need all new seals (neck was torn and wrists way too big) *and* new turbo soles (were 12, i would need 7 or so). it was a very nice gesture, but i passed it on to someone who would only need to have the neck seal replaced and bought a suit someone had ordered that hadn't fit her well and a shop was stuck with it.

so, basically, i got a suit that fit me beautifully for $800 instead of doing a total re-do for about the same price.

my advice - see which one fits you best and work from there.

what model of drysuit would prefer/advise to get from these three: Andy's, Whytes, USIA?

Back to BabyDuck's point, it really comes down to fit. Having recently purchased a suit, I tried on 5 different suits before I found one that fit. For my body type (stocky) to get a suit that fit my shoulders, chest, and hips, I had to go to an XL which was significantly too long in the limbs. It just so happens that the White's Catalyst fit me perfect, otherwise I was going to have to purchase a custom suit. I could have still purchase a suit that was a "good value" but by the time I invested in the alterations, or dealt with the longer limbs which equates to excess air, that bargain wasn't much of a bargain.

Depending on who you talk to you are going to hear good and bad about all vendors. Comparing apples to apples, all suits are pretty comparable from what I have seen and experienced.

what model of drysuit would prefer/advise to get from these three: Andy's, Whytes, USIA?

GO with the Whites Fusion...we have some lightly used models in the "HOT DEALS" forum that are in almost perfect condition.

Back to OP, if its craigslist, go see the suit, chances are they are close to you...you never know. If not, buyer beware. Lots of online retailers have used suits from time to time. We sold over 130 drysuits last year, most online, and only a couple returns....so it can easily be fitted online with a shop that knows what to ask for. Some of us will try and buy up used suits from the Manus. to offer to our customers at a lower price(see first sentence). You can never beat going local for the after sales service though...although we are a home to divers from all over the world, we are also somebody elses local shop :wink:....just like your LDS

Goodluck in finding your suit!

Thanks folks!

That's a great help. The LDS said that I can dive with it, and they'll fix anything 'leaky' with no probs. And I can split payments too...instead of dropping the whole amount right off the top.

thanks!

I ran across a nice deal on a TLS350 locally through either Craigslist or eBay from an estate sale. It looks virtually unused and the seals weren't cut too large for me. Work and family issues have prevented any chance to take a drysuit class, so I haven't tried it out. Even if it needs some minor repairs, the likely cost for those is still far less than a new or even LDS used/demo suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom