buying a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Oceanic VTX.

You are happy with it? No problems with reliability (as was the case with the Aeries version) or the screen not visible in sunlight? What about its ability to do deco diving with O2 stops?

The Aeris version crapped out... the new one has been fine. It's a bit dim on the surface, but OK at depth. I like it fine. It uses the same batteries as the transmitters and it's easily changed. I really like that.

An intuitive interface is wonderful. You're at the dive site about to go in & realize you forgot to set your nitro mix %, or you forgot to change your computer time since you flew across time zones to make the trip, or you wanted to set a tank size & realized the tank you're about to use is different from the size of your last tank.

Richard.

I have a Shearwater Petrel 2 and a SeaBear H3.

Downside to the Shearwaters (including the new Perdix) is bulk. Also, no option for AI if you decide you want it later.

Downsides to the Cobalt are bulk, being attached to you via a hose, and cost.

Downsides to the H3? None that I've encountered yet. Now that I have it, I wish I hadn't spent the money on a Petrel.

On the H3 vs. Petrel, there are 2 contrasting views on a difference. Some people like user-replaceable batteries over built-in rechargeable; if they forget to charge it, they can swap it out. I like built-in rechargeable because I'm afraid I'm going to mess up a battery swap, not get a good seal and flood and ruin the thing. As long as either way gives you plenty of dive time, which is 'better' becomes a matter of preference. At least on the battery situation, which matters to some.

Richard.

Really? What'd you dive, dsat? Also define "simple dive".

Yes, really. My last 1046 dives used the DSAT decompression algorithm, how about you? Most of my dives within recreational limits are simple, and solo, dives, how about you?

For many first time dive computer buyers wrist vs. console and AI vs. non-AI are two obvious choices. Many first time buyers are completely unaware of decompression algorithms and differences between them. Some end up with computers running algorithms they are unhappy with. This is simply another variable that should be taken into account in one's computer purchase.

Last edited:
For your type of diving a simple computor @ less than 300 $ is perfect. Spend ypur remaining $ 700 on airplane in order to go diving in nice places.

On the H3 vs. Petrel, there are 2 contrasting views on a difference. Some people like user-replaceable batteries over built-in rechargeable; if they forget to charge it, they can swap it out. I like built-in rechargeable because I'm afraid I'm going to mess up a battery swap, not get a good seal and flood and ruin the thing. As long as either way gives you plenty of dive time, which is 'better' becomes a matter of preference. At least on the battery situation, which matters to some.

Richard.

Yep. The Petrel 2 claims 35 hours of dive time on a set of AA alkalines. I bought mine in September, did 28 dives plus training time in the pool and just had to change out the first set of batteries. The H3 claims 15 dive hours on a charge. If it even lasts 1/3 as long as the Petrel, I will be totally happy. I haven't had it long enough yet to say, though. Plus, I'm not sure I'll ever get a really good feel for it since I am using the download cable that came with to download my dives, which I do frequently. And it charges via the same cable. So, I doubt I'll ever go THAT long between times of charging it.

OP, you should read this to get some idea of algorithms and whether they will be important to you or not.

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/so-you-want-to-buy-a-new-computer.305374/

I agree with scubadada that it is something you should look at. When I bought my first computer, I specifically selected for a computer with an algorithm known to be very liberal. Since then, I have definitely enjoyed having longer NDLs and have had numerous dives that were limited by my dive buddy's computer giving a shorter NDL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom