buying a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart, thanks for taking over the attempt at educating dmaziuk, I had given up. Though believing he/she knows everything, posts say otherwise. One of the dangers of the internet, separating the wheat from the chaff

Ha ha! It's only fair. I know I'm the same way often enough.... :)

Ha ha! It's only fair. I know I'm the same way often enough.... :)

There is a difference: in this case I am arguing from the position I don't know squat. I am not qualified to evaluate the implementation of different algorithms in different dive computers. I am not going to base my choice of a product on a feature I cannot evaluate.

There is a difference: in this case I am arguing from the position I don't know squat. I am not qualified to evaluate the implementation of different algorithms in different dive computers. I am not going to base my choice of a product on a feature I cannot evaluate.

Ahhh, false modesty. I know better. You are a sharp person. If you wanted to, you could read the lab test reports (I posted links to two different lab tests, I think) and draw reasonable conclusions from the data they provide.

Or maybe you have a Cressi computer and you don't want to admit - even to yourself - that you would enjoy longer NDLs (and safely) if you had bought a different computer?

If you wanted to, you could read the lab test reports (I posted links to two different lab tests, I think) and draw reasonable conclusions from the data they provide.

I am familiar with software testing methodologies, data analysis, and all that. Where I come from "evaluate the performance of an algorithm" is not a clear statement of the goals of the test. The methodology is "we put a bunch of computers in a chamber and pressurized them to various extents": unjustified is putting it mildly. There is no baseline despite the fact that ZH-L16 is well documented and available is several software implementations. Yeah, I've read the reports. My conclusion is, I don't understand them.

I could familiarize myself with ZH-L16+GF and potentially: VPM-B. Everything else is various degrees of "based on" "modified" proprietary, so no understanding those. Then based on my understanding of the algorithms I'd have to buy a petrel or an ostc. Well, I'm not buying: they cost more than a ticket to Bonaire and don't even come with AI at that price. Meh.

(And don't say H3: is costs even more and still comes with no AI.)

Back
Top Bottom