Buying a New Digital SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
I've refrained from posting thus far because I did not want to get into a who is better argument (as you may see some bickering in this thread). The fact of the matter is, the one that is better is the one that is better for you and your photography. What qualifies as "better" really depends on what works best in the end for you. Listen to the pros and cons of each option you have. Go to a shop, pick up each in your hand and play around with it. You may be even able to rent/borrow one for the day and play around with it before you decide, but in the end, make the choice based on what works for you. I've made my choice. Ultimately, that is of no relevance to you, so you make your choice.

thats funny, i could have sworn i said the exact same thing!

i never mentioned a make or model but i got flamed for it.

Diver Dennis:
I just bought the Rebel XT with the Ikelite housing and 2 - DS 125 strobes. I'm in Canada right now and the Rebel was about 2/3 the cost of the 20D. I used the difference to but the 10-22 mm lense. I think the good thing about Cannon is you can use the lenses on any of their bodies. I've never shot underwater before so I'm taking a course from Mike Veitch in Yap. I also bought the 100mm macro. I was seriously looking at the 60mm but Ike had no ports in stock for it. Good set up? Would you add anything?

not so, not all their lenses work on all their bodies!

jtoorish:
Nikon, Olympus and the rest of the camera makers produce excellent products without a doubt. And it's genearally true, the differences are probably more subtle than in the past.

But next time you're watching a football game, and you see a line of photographers on the sidelines...all of them with those big white lenses. They are all shooting Canon.

There's a reason for that.

Safe shooting.

Jeff

what do big white lenses have to do with underwater photography!?!

for one they are too large so it doesn't matter if it is the best lens in the world you cant use it!!!

70-180 is the bigest lense i have seen used underwater and that is a nikon.

like i said previously but you seem to have ignored in your blinkered my opinion is right attitude, they need to go and play with them, what is best for one is not always best for everyone else.

clive francis:
not so, not all their lenses work on all their bodies!

Hmmmm... didn't know that. But I think most of them are compatable with my camera?

Yes, the s lens is designed for cropped sensor only like the DX series for Nikon. So it is only for 20D, Digital Rebel and 350D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom