Buying a mask online without trying it first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onejubb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im looking to buy a mask. The problem is i live in india where there are no scuba stores where i can go and try out a range of them before making a decision. My only choice here is to buy one on my next trip abroad , or else to order it online.
Any advice on how to choose a mask online without trying it on first would be appreciated.
or am i just better off sticking to rental gear till i make my next trip abroad and get to a decent dive store?

cheers

aravind

Im looking to buy a mask. The problem is i live in india where there are no scuba stores where i can go and try out a range of them before making a decision. My only choice here is to buy one on my next trip abroad , or else to order it online.
Any advice on how to choose a mask online without trying it on first would be appreciated.
or am i just better off sticking to rental gear till i make my next trip abroad and get to a decent dive store?

cheers

aravind

Nice to see another fellow "Indian" diver! :)

If you want to order online, you may end up like me owning $400 worth of masks and none of them are usable ..LOL

I found that even trying them on dry in the store was not sufficient for me.. I actually needed to dive to test fit the masks properly (using the swimming pool).. probably due to the fact that proper mask fitting should be done with a regulator in your mouth...

Haha..thanks raj..but i dont have a choice of trying here...its either buy online or wait till i go somewhere...and even there i can only do a dry test

My take on the situation is 1) the mask is the most important piece of gear. 2) don't order a mask on line until you have tried it. 3) Rent until you can get to a place where you can try them on. 4) if you like the mask that you rent but want your own mask then just order the same model that you have been renting.

Agree with others ordering online without having first tried that model is very risky indeed, wait until you go abroad where you can either try lots of masks or until you find a rental one that fits and then buy that model online. Not much ruins a dive as much as a leaky mask, except being cold. Good luck with your search.

Yes..defenitely wait to try one on. I have had good luck with some of the frameless models usually fitting well, but not worth the hassle to risk it.

Agree with others ordering online without having first tried that model is very risky indeed, wait until you go abroad where you can either try lots of masks or until you find a rental one that fits and then buy that model online. Not much ruins a dive as much as a leaky mask, except being cold. Good luck with your search.

Ill deal with cold, but leaky mask piss me off, make me clear all the time and make me use more air because of the inconvenience.. Which is why I replaced the one I had worn out..

And when I found one I absolutely loved, I bought two-- so I have a primary and backup... In addition to an extra mask strap. That's why I travel with two suitcases ....under 50lbs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom