Buying a Gopro or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midnitesun64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I own two GoPro cameras. I went diving in Fiji in 03/2011 and used a basic GoPro non HD with a wrist mount and standard factory curved housing.
Not the greatest video quality ever but it still is a pleasure for ME to watch and remember, I know that I am not a videographer and don't plan to publish to the world my videos, I do want good images though for my own enjoyment

Now I am going to Belize Mar of 2013 and own a GoPro HD Hero with LCD backpack from Craigslist for 100.00. I had to think long and hard about what I was willing to settle with. Obviously the learning curve with the GoPro is much smaller, I don't have the time to develop photographic skills and learn about white balance and F stops etc... so I decided to purchase a GoPro. Now with the GoPro you can certainly add enough accessories so that the price will quickly climb and you will find yourself in the neighborhood of more expensive cameras with good housing such as what Ikelite offers.
Deciding what you want now becomes of series of gives and takes...I was willing to give up some quality for ease of use, lower cost initially but I had to purchase other items to make the GoPro more suitable for underwater video. I decided on BackScatters tray and the flat lens housing with the flip up magic filter for color correction, I also avoided spending 500-800 dollars by renting a video light from BackScatter instead of buying. I am a new diver so I also wanted something I could become familiar with quickly so I wouldn't have to spend bottom time scrolling through menus etc... I am fully prepared to have video that will not look as good as what I have seen posted on this forum...that's okay for me and these sort of things need to be tossed around. With my GoPro, after diving, I can use one of the other various mounts and bring it on a zipline tour or riding ATV with the handle bar mount or helmet mounts. My point and shoots won't approach this kind of versatility but they have there place in my journeys too so I am not pitching them. I also have barely begun to discover all the ways to use my GoPro, if all is well, then I may upgrade to a better newer GoPro, but for now, being the amateur that I am, I am in a neighborhood where I can afford to live. As diving skills and opportunities increase I may end up a SLR. Just decide realistically what your skills are and your intent and what you can live with and without. Consider this, some cameras are slow, I have read reviews on certain cameras and discovered that a lot underwater specific cameras that are inexpensive will have slow shutter, meaning as you push the shutter button, you subject could swim out of the frame before the camera actually takes the picture. i am going to set my GoPro to video and use the light for upclose subjects-oh the horror of 2-3 hour video editing. Its all good though...Right! I am no expert, this is only opinion

I didn't have a problem reading it. Thanks for your profound comment, as useless as it was. The OP took the time to type it up, respect that. If you have nothing of value to contribute, STFU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the black 3 is much cooler, it is the only video camera I am taking to coz next week

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I use a much more expensive rig, but after seeing results from the Hero3 in the Bahamas, I am very tempted to buy one as a backup in case something happens with my primary rig. Its size makes it easy to add to my baggage.

One of the reasons why I refuse to subscribe to the idea of filming only what needs to be filmed is because you are not filming a sleepy turtle on land who is barely moving. By time you turn the camera on, have it boot up, press the record button, it goes through its paces and starts recording... your subject has swam away about 10 seconds ago. That alone makes me recommend to people to upgrade batteries and film everything. Yes its more editing work but you can never hear me say following phrase: "Ohh man I saw this .... and by time I got my camera working it was gone". I have it on camera... better yet I have it on 3 cameras. Only time my camera is in the off position is when visibility is horrible or when I am about to load the boat. You would not believe how many times I hear people complain that they were waiting for the boat at the surface and this cool pod of whatever swam right under them. Muahahahaha I have it on camera too.

As for quality... gopro is an action spur of the moment camera. It is not meant to replace good cameras. It is meant to supplement good cameras. I use mine for mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, regular activity filming, when driving or recording timelapse. Options are pretty much limitless. And camera is small, portable, light and quality is pretty darn good.

This is what I am planning this time. I have the 32 gig card and 2 spare batteries. I hope my idea works. I will have a Sola 1200 video light that i plan to use for specific subjects and will have it off when not being used. Yeah the editing is a long process for sure. I guess I am looking at capturing memories, but trying to do a better job than my last vacation. Any advice is helpful, do I use color correction filter between 15 and 20 ft or so, then use the light for specific subjects? I plan to video whole time diving. The wrist mount made for some shaky video before. For carrying the camera, I have a retractable " tool keeper", we use them while tower climbing so you don't drop tools. Is this a good idea? I understand I don't want drop my camera but is it wise to have things attached to D rings on the Bcd as a new diver? I guess I will have to just pay attention! Any experience with Sola 1200?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom