Buying a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently passed my OW test and am fascinated by the underwater world. As a result, would like to buy a camera when scuba diving. Does anyone has any suggestion as to which one shall i get and why? Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Read these forums. This question is asked on a weekly basis, you'll likely get a good idea of where to start.

If you expect answers you need to give us something to go with. Budget? What kind of pictures do you want and/or expect to get? Where do you dive? What KIND of diving will you be doing? What part of the world do you live in?

Dee once bubbled...
Read these forums. This question is asked on a weekly basis, you'll likely get a good idea of where to start.

Sorry, but I'm confused. Where are "these forums"?

Also, I'm looking for a decent DC, not a cheap one. I would really like to have some sharp images.

Most of the time, I dive in tropical water. However, I do travel to dive occasionally.

Budget wise, I would say not more than US$450, but is flexible, depending on the value of the camera.

However, one question I would reall like to ask is, what should I look for in a camera whose primarily goal for scuba diving.

Cheers.

chocolate once bubbled...

one question I would reall like to ask is, what should I look for in a camera whose primarily goal for scuba diving.

Cheers.

waterproofing is handy!! :bonk:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be unhelpful :wink:

Are you looking for a waterproof camera, or a land camera in a waterproof housing?

P.S. ..........these are the forums

I understand your plight, the wife and I are in the same boat, pricing is a little more at $600-700, but all in all the same. We are thinking of going digital. Reason for digital is you can see your shot right away and discard it if it is not a good one. Also you want a camera with a housing that can go to at least 150 feet. As a recreational diver you will never be below that depth without a SERIOUS miscalculation. You want a camera that you can access all the buttons WHILE UNDERWATER. We purchased a $100.00 sealife camera and found a few problems; first you must turn the camera on before you get down (ok you should be able to remember to do this, but if not, your screwed) and the film kept getting stuck, so its on to bigger and better things. You want a camera with external flash. We are once again thinking of going with the Sealife cameras $599.00 for a 3 megapixel (pretty good resolution, not NEARLY as nice as my friends 5 megapixel) Good luck on your search and perhaps you should hold out for a little more (ask santa to help out (if you've been good)). Good luck.

Chocolate,

You haven't told us enough to be as helpful as we might be. We know you're new to diving, how new are you to photography?

I've been diving a long time, shoot pictures, but I'll never be the guru shutterbug like Dee and DrBill and any number of other good shooters on this board. So.......here's where I've been:

Have gone through several point & shoot film cameras over the years. Have flooded a couple. Sh*t happens. My wife is a diver, not as advanced as I and not as familiar with UW shooting as I. So we got a middle of the road digital outfit to play with for about a year or so and if we don't kill it (the camera) we'll probably really upgrade when we jump off that bridge.

As mentioned in this "forum" digital is now the best consideration.

We bought a Sealife 3.3 mp 310 with the advanced housing. They also make the same housing with the simple configuration. One has three buttons, the other has nine for full access. Both are rated for 200fsw. I have had excellent results both UW and land.

We got soft carrying case, camera, advanced housing, external strobe, counter weight, macro lens & filters, rechargeable battery charger, maintenance kit, CD with printable tutorial & photo software, etc. Camera even comes with a small waterproof cue card that you can attach to the camera strap in case you forget which button to push. We bought online and it came to about $750.00, if I recall.

As they have implied in this "forum", it's your call.

Shop, shop, shop, read, read ,read. Consider what is practical, adequate, and versatile for YOUR needs and enjoyment.

Congratulations on your new found world of diving, the one we all share as a wonderous common bond!!

fabasard once bubbled...
We are once again thinking of going with the Sealife cameras $599.00 for a 3 megapixel (pretty good resolution, not NEARLY as nice as my friends 5 megapixel)

I just bought a Olympus C5050Z for $540 and a Oly housing can be had for around $140 which is only $80 over the $599 for the sealife If you have followed the UW photography forum, you know it's very popular with a lot of divers here.

Chocolate, may I suggest that you consider not taking up UW photography so soon. I see you have just gotten certified and I understand you enthusiam but it would be a good idea to spend some time just diving and practising the skills you have just learned. UW photography is a lot more involved than you migh imagine. It requires very good bouyancy and fin control, skills that take time to master. Besides the diving skills, the camera adds a lot of task loading and deverts a lot of your attentuion away from your diving and your buddy. Neither of these things are good, esp for a new diver.

Hi Chocolate:

I was in your spot a few months ago. After a lot of research and a lot of help from the guys and gals on the Board, especially Dee, we bought an Olympus C5050 and never looked back. It is an excellent camera. I would buy it again without hesitation.

There are only two issues with this camera. First, my wife likes it so much that she is considering fobidding me to take it underwater for fear of flooding it, even though I bought the Olympus 015 housing for it. Second, she has a nasty habit of sneaking up on me and taking pictures of me at the 'least desirable times,' which pisses me off because the camera does not lie, if you catch my drift!

If you don't have those issues, I recommend it without qualification.

:mousy:

I can only echo Herman....Please spend the time to learn to dive well before you add a camera to your tasking. You're divng will be more enjoyable and your photography will be better not to mention the safety of the environment.

The Oly C-5050/PT-15 housing is a great investment. As you can see, it can be purchased within your budgeted amount. You can use it as a simple point and shoot to start and when you are ready, it will take you as far as you want to go.

Back
Top Bottom