Buying a BP/W from a LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a bp/w from my lds. They had to order a few parts, so it was a bit of a delay getting everything. They set everything up in the store, fitting everything to me, but I have made a bunch of adjustments since. Was no different than buying any other piece of equipment.

My lds doesn’t get much interest in BP/W so I called around to other lds to find one that carried a couple of different makes. Paid more than I would have with vendors here on SB or DIY, but I valued being able to physically handle the rig and appreciated the knowledgeable lds guys.

I bought mine through my LDS, they were very knowledgeable and helped set it up correctly. i only had to make minor adjustments after my first dive with doubles.

No chance of getting anything like that around here unless it is special order, and unlikely to be the brand I wanted....

Hello,

In your experience, has buying a BP/W setup from a LDS been pleasant? I'm particularly interested in how much support they provided after the purchase with fitting the rig to you and your needs. Obviously all LDS are not created equal, so I'm sure there is a variance, but in general I suppose. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
David

Mine sells lots of them. Online and in the store. Excellent experience. Helped me tweak it. You can look them up - Dive Right in Scuba in Plainfield, IL.

Depends A LOT on the shop. Some places around here don't stock BP/Ws at all, some sell them for $$ because there's a market but have no clue what they are doing, some could actually fit/adjust one for you off the shelf and have it be close to correct on the first dive.

It’s easy but takes some fiddling. The whole point is to make it fit YOU. Watch a video and do it yourself, if you don’t like the results, move stuff until it is right for you. This process is part of the experience, it makes you really own it and know where everything is and why. Unless team diving modify all you want. (Like if you are left handed). The great thing is it is easy to change.

These are very helpful! Ask lots of questions as previously mentioned. Be prepared for some conflicting answers/solutions. Even in team diving concept... Something's have to be different so don't get caught up in the 'DIR and GUE your gonna die if you do it differently" hype. I have a dive buddy with back issues who cannot dive with a large set of back mount doubles, I have other buddies with CCR's, My fav dive rig for rc dives is a set of mini doubles LP50's. my wife is a rec diver only and dives a single BP/wing rig. My wife is 5'4" and 120 lbs. her rig set up is similar to mine (cause I set it up) My god daughter's set up is different she is Left handed. Get the basics, set it up as such. make adjustments as you see fit and fit your needs. You want an extra D-ring add one. If you need 16 extra D-rings maybe you should evaluate why? Do you get my point? As stated before. Buy your set up, ask a ton of questions, watch videos, and build your rig to suit you and your diving. You pay for a hobby, its your dive, your money and your time. If it doesn't add anymore concerns to safety then the hazards of diving in and of itself.... Have at it!

To answer your question directly, if your local dive shop has tech experience, they will be more helpful then a shop that is mostly/strictly recreational. If you desire an LDS do some homework on the shop and go in and see what they can help you with. Have an idea of what you want ahead of time to see if the LDS is in line with your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom