Buying a boat, needing suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a twelve foot inflatable for many years. It was fast and very economical, but can be rough in choppy seas and you tend to be in the Sun for hours.
I then had a sailboat which was comfortable for sleeping overnight at Catalina and diving from the inflatable, but it was s l o w!
My next boat was a 22' cuddy cabin powerboat. I made hundreds of dives from that boat, but the engine repairs and replacement (twice) caused me to have horrible credit and a second ex-wife.
After saving for several years I finally got what I hope will be my last boat. It's a C-Dory Tomcat 255. It's a power catamaran, so it's a much more stable dive platform than a monohull. I have twin Honda 150s for power and speed and a pilot house to get out of the elements. It has the usual comforts, large V-berth, fridge, stove, heater, marine head with shower, stainless sink, hydraulic steering, radar, gps, vhf, dive ladder with twin stainless grab rails, two fish boxes with macerator pumps, live bait well, dech washdown pump and the motors are so quiet you can't hear them from inside, even with the door open.

I am interested in researching what would make a good boat for recreational use. I am wanting to know from other diver experiences what features makes a boat good for diving. For the size of boat, I am interested in 18' to 25'.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

-Chris

I live not far from you in VC.

IMO, a trailerable boat in the 18 to 22 foot , deep Vee, center console or walk around cuddy of a similar hull design make excellent near shore dive boats and can be towed by normal vehicles LONG distances to lakes and ocean.

We currently use a Boston Whaler 19 foot Outrage, sure, if I did not have to tow a 1,000 miles regularly I would possibly have gone larger, then again, maybe not.

My dad stays aboard the first summer we had it while we lay off a small island in the Ozarks:

DSCF0919.jpg

A couple of years ago out of Destin:

IMG_1603_edited-1.jpg

N

For a work boat, no worries about fish blood and guts, easy to get in an out of, can run in 8 inches of water...there's the good ole Mexican skiff. This one was made in Guatemala. By USA lake standards though, you'd probably get the "Ugliest Boat on the Lake" award. But they're a solid, practical boat.

Attachments

• _MG_3314.jpg
    _MG_3314.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_3313.jpg
    _MG_3313.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 68
I had a twelve foot inflatable for many years. It was fast and very economical, but can be rough in choppy seas and you tend to be in the Sun for hours.
I then had a sailboat which was comfortable for sleeping overnight at Catalina and diving from the inflatable, but it was s l o w!
My next boat was a 22' cuddy cabin powerboat. I made hundreds of dives from that boat, but the engine repairs and replacement (twice) caused me to have horrible credit and a second ex-wife.
After saving for several years I finally got what I hope will be my last boat. It's a C-Dory Tomcat 255. It's a power catamaran, so it's a much more stable dive platform than a monohull. I have twin Honda 150s for power and speed and a pilot house to get out of the elements. It has the usual comforts, large V-berth, fridge, stove, heater, marine head with shower, stainless sink, hydraulic steering, radar, gps, vhf, dive ladder with twin stainless grab rails, two fish boxes with macerator pumps, live bait well, dech washdown pump and the motors are so quiet you can't hear them from inside, even with the door open.

Wow very nice boat, let me know if you ever need a dive buddy one of these weekends!

Robert

By USA lake standards though, you'd probably get the "Ugliest Boat on the Lake" award. But they're a solid, practical boat.

That looks like a high priced yacht compared to my own boat. Mine's an old gutted runabout and I built my "bimini"/camper top out of PVC pipe and tarp.

MAX,
I think for its its size, thats one of the nicest cruiser/dive boats I have seen. Do you trailer it at all or is it too big?

Isn't it a common saying that: The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it.

Isn't it a common saying that: The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it.

That is a worn out cliche that applies or can be applied to anything dependent upon the circumstance.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom