Buyer Beware Liveaboard.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys I am in the middle of a email battle with Liveaboard.com. I just searched this website and looks like I am not the only one. I paid a deposit of Euro 2256 and per the website should get a 70% refund. They are only wanting to refund euro 687.30 and I probably wont see that.

This is the policy on their website
1716337891080.png

when you make the payment the policy turns into this

If you wish to cancel instead of reschedule then the following cancellation termsapply;More
than 90 days out = 70 %
refund Between 7 and 90 days out = 20 %
refundLess than 7 days out = no refund*With Covid-19 related restrictions one of the following must apply:

The destination country prevents you from entering due to their governmental guidelines and restrictions on your country of residence. Your country of residence prevents you from departing due to their governmental guidelines and restrictions on the embarkation point for the liveaboard. Only if one or more of the above apply, this liveaboard operator will offer a free re- schedule of your trip within 24 months from the initial departure date The cancellation policy always applies to the total reservation amount. In case of a(partial) refund we will apply an additional 3% administration fee to cover creditcard, bank transfer and/or handling costs incurred. Cancellations always need to be received in writing by email (booking@liveaboard.com) to avoid misunderstanding.

The part about the cancellation applies to the total reservation amount is added to the 3% fee on the total reservation amount is also added. The entire trip price is Euro $5200 so the take 5200*30%=euro 1560 plus 3% of Euro 5200 and take that out of my deposit of euro 2256 all I get back is Euro 687.3. BTW I am a US based diver but LA.com is out of Holland so all their math is in Euros.

Guys and Gals be aware when dealing with this website. Not trying to bash them just trying to make everyone aware of the policy so you don't end up disappointed as I am.

Just so glad I only got scammed for half the Euro 5200 and didn't pay the whole thing up front.

Trip insurance?

I only use consolidator sites like LA.com for information on prices, boats, itineries and sailing dates. I would only book through a local dive shop or directly with the boat operator.

Trip Insurance?

Rarely worth it; they'll always find a reason (in the fine print) to deny a claim!
LOL.
Do you have any personal experience on the topic?

Rarely worth it; they'll always find a reason (in the fine print) to deny a claim!
Yeah, I completely disagree with this. I've unfortunately had to make claims twice, both in the last 4 years, once for around $2k (TravelEx) and more recently for more than $7k (Travel Guard). In both cases, I received full payment for my claim. You do need to be patient and persistent, and to comply as best you can with the claims process, but in both cases I found the claims people to be remarkably cooperative and I believe they acted in good faith. You do need to watch them and carefully check their work, and sometimes you have to politely push them. For example, on the larger claim, the original payment was substantially short so I emailed the claims guy several times asking for an explanation of the omitted items and politely pushing him. He apologized and explained, as he had before, that he was under water with multiple claims, and ultimately paid the claim in full. The process took several months--much longer than it should have--but in the end was obviously worth it. So I'm a big fan of travel insurance; I don't do major trips without it.

OP, where do you live and what sort of consumer protections does your country have? Changing the policy after you make payment is fraud.

OP, where do you live and what sort of consumer protections does your country have? Changing the policy after you make payment is fraud.
I live in the U.S. and I was considering filing a claim but LA.com got me. There is apparently a link to the new refund terms in the payment window. I thought I was informed of the refund terms by the website and did not click the link. So legally they covered themselves.

There are a lot of questions about trip insurance. My reason for cancelling is personal so no policy would cover it.

In a time where is seems a lot of companies are reducing penalties LA.Com is just really sticking it to their customers.

The post was only meant to inform and make people aware of LA.com policies and questionable practices. The response of using local resources is a good one and only using websites like LA.com for information.

I live in the U.S. and I was considering filing a claim but LA.com got me. There is apparently a link to the new refund terms in the payment window. I thought I was informed of the refund terms by the website and did not click the link. So legally they covered themselves.

There are a lot of questions about trip insurance. My reason for cancelling is personal so no policy would cover it.

In a time where is seems a lot of companies are reducing penalties LA.Com is just really sticking it to their customers.

The post was only meant to inform and make people aware of LA.com policies and questionable practices. The response of using local resources is a good one and only using websites like LA.com for information.
Hidden links without an admonition to read it may limit their liability but it’s unlikely to eliminate it if you sue, sending them a letter and perhaps filing a suit seeking punitive damages may have them seeking a settlement.

Back
Top Bottom