Buy Once, Cry Once DIR rig for recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a complete halcyon system on kijiji.com from Vancouver for $650 Cdn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I assumed the harness had a solid back-plate built into it like an infinity setup would have. I see now what you're referring to. Do you recommend any systems that are GUE / UTD that don't break the bank like the halcyon infinity.

So let's break down the cost of the original package, and try to match the cost of the BC itself. The package is $1000. HOG D3 package with both Zenith 2nd stage is $450 from the same website
Hog D3 Zenith Regulator Package

This leaves you $550 for the BC. At this money, if you want to go new, DSS is a no brainer. You have money left over to spend on weight plates. If you don't mind use, used Halcyon Eclipse with well within range.

My personal opinion is to stick with Halcyon. Yes it is expensive but the resale value is also very good. Just look for a used setup and go with that. Look at the long term.

I buy Halcyon and scuba pro after moving through a bunch of other stuff. Basically because the service and quality are excellent.
I had a problem with a backup light, I gave it to a friend who was headed down to FL, who then gave it to someone working at extremes exposure, it made it over to halcyon, was fixed and returned to EE, and then they called me... I did have it engraved, but you get the idea...
i have a couple of those examples and consistent results.

Back to you...
For a cold water single tank rig I would buy the following
halcyon...
stainless infinity BC system, (you can add a doubles wing later if wanted), with weight pockets and the single tank weight.
2 cam band weight pockets

This will be your most veritable system for cold to warm water and singles growing to doubles in the future.

regulators
halcyon halo & aura with the mk25 first stage (or scuba pro gv260 & r 290 or current model, with the mk25 1st stage)
brass and glass gauge, hoses and clips (medium sized since you are diving with gloves)

gauges... I use a petrel for my primary gauge and a scuba pro meridian for timing/backup.
Ill probably move to a seabear h3 for backup soon, it's overkill but OLED.

My opinion only.. And what I personally own ( 1 have 3+ halcyon systems, SS, AL, & traveler pro)

Ok dry suit is next. I'm thinking DUI TLS 350. Will certainly work in Monterey but how about tropical locations? I'm committed to diving dry - always. What say you?

The guy who fixes dry suits in Gainesville recommended the FLX extreme and against the TLS series. Most people seem happy with Santi too, but they are pretty similarly priced these days iirc.

Just looked at DUI msrp of the above mentioned models. Looks like my kidney is for sale, any takers? On the real though, I picked up a DSS rig and its amazing, but the cost of a dry suit is unreal. Also, what kinda double setup does everyone run? I'm guessing I actually have to buy those too huh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom