Buy now or at the show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been shopping around on the internet for some gear I want to get (regs, bcd, computer), and have found some really good prices. The question is should I go ahead and get them now or am I likely to get better prices at the show (LIDS)?

I have never been to one of these shows so I don't know how good the bargains are.

Thanks in advance

Conor

Hi

I think if you're going to the show anyway you'll probably get the best deal there (but not guaranteed). It might not be worth going just to buy stuff though. As an example, last year I was looking to buy a Vyper. Best price at the show was about £150 but it was going to cost me over £30 in petrol plus the cost of parking and the tickets so the total cost was pushed over £200. I picked one up for £180 from Divers Warehouse so saved £20.

Ian

I see your point, there is a good chance I'll go anyway. How did you find out the price without going to the show ?

I brought a lot of my gear at the dive show. I went along on the Sunday as that is when most of the prices are marked down.

If I were you, I'd go take a look. If you decide to buy from your LDS it makes no difference as you were going to the show anyway!!

Most things are cheaper at the show. You should save around 5 to 10% on the best internet price. There is the added benefit of seeing/trying the item before you buy.

I find it easy to ignore the cost of transport and admission when working out how much I saved:wink:

The show can be a bit of a scrum, you have been warned.

Hi all

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like it is the same as some of the motorcycle shows I have been to. But given the opportunity to try a few things and shop around, maybe even haggle I think it is worth holding on until then and see what I can get. I can always buy off the internet if there is nothing at the show.

There is a good chance that I'll end up buying half a dozen other small things that I didn't know I needed, but hey, that can be fun too.

Cheers

Conor

Hi Conor,
I was suprised at the Birm show at the price of some items .Some were cheaper and some were more expensive it all depends on what you want.Tanks are good as no deliv cost.But bc's and regs i found not so good.Last year i bought regs about a month before the show and i got a better price than was avaliabe at the show and the shop who sold them to me was at the show!. IMO it costs alot of money to have a stall at the show so they have to reap some profit.I was looking for a bc and i could not find any savings on the internet price but still managed to spend money on this and that.
I agree with nick don't include the cost of show into the price as it is a good day out and you can see/talk to a lot of manufacters and other divers.

To companies i have bought from before who i can recomend are Divers wharehouse and go dive. Go dive say they will beat any other price or quote and for me they have .

Regards,

MAL..

I believe the at the show now the manufacturers have restricted the amount of discount the shops will give - and they are all at the show so they can enforce it.

My old shop in Croydon usually does a "sale" that weekend so not making it worth going to the show to shop. So we go for the presentations and press the flesh instead....

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom