butterfly house 8/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
4ft swell rolling thru B-house yesterday making for good amount of surge, especially at<40ft depth. Viz 15-20ft. Kelp/weed very thick in the shallow area directly in front of entry point made for unpleasant entry exit. tide was about +3ft and I would hate to attempt this spot with the vegetation so thick on a lower tide. Once past the shallows very nice big rock faces carpeted with strawberry anemone and bits of purple/pink hydrocoral, wish I had more air/time there than the trip out and back.

Sun came out in the afternoon made for very nice post-dive conditions. :)

-Ken

butterfly house is the best spot in Monterey/Carmel if ... if there is no kelp. I love this spot in winter and would always pick it as number 1, I like it more than Lobos or Monastery. Strawberry Sea Anemones are really magical there.

summer is very different and kelp makes it not only hard because of entry/exit, but also covers quite a lot in 50/60FT depth and really changes the whole dive site.

Thank you for the report, I was actually thinking to try it later this week. I shall wait a bit longer.

I agree. Butterfly house is my favorite norcal site. I've never see anything as blanketed with life.

Jason

Hmm, I'll have to make it a point to try and get out that way. Thanks for the site review!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom