Bust the Myth! Halcyon is building defective lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
I think in order to put this in context we need to know who you work for and what your association with (potential) competitors of Halcyon might be. This sounds to me suspiciously like "slander the competition" type "advertising" (if one can use that word to describe this tactic).

As far as I know, Halcyon inflators are more or less universally seen as grade A junk but from what I've heard and seen their lights are ok (albeit a little delicate).

R..

It is not.. he truly is a disgruntled customer. Perhaps more so with me then with Halcyon. I seem to have mislead him someway, and have left him feeling uncomfortable with the resolutions to the issues he has had with his lights/inflators.

I've read alot of threads about the inflators.. I've sold nearly 100 and with very few exceptions they have worked flawlessly. (perhaps four or five) I for one am disappointed that they will soon be going back to the old inflator mechanism as the standard issue on the MFC systems, though I know I am a minority.

One has to note however that they are designed to be maintained. I rebuild mine every few months. And I counsel divers that they should do so every 50 or so dives... and in the interim they should make sure that they lubricate them sufficiently.

I seem to have forgotten to talk with this customer about that though it seems to me I did when I rebuilt them for him, some 6 - 8 months ago. Since that time I have not been informed of any problems with his inflators.. though one of our other customers (JB) came in this weekend with an issue with his, I showed him how to rebuild it gave him all the O-rings to do so and even though the others he owns were working properly we rebuilt all three.

The OP here apparently was not shown how to do this and again falls squarely upon my shoulders. I hope that there is a way to salvage our professional relationship and as I have received no indication that it is not, I remain hopeful.

This will not, as far as I am concerned, have ANY reflection on our personal relationship. I have a unique ability to separate the personal from the professional when need be.

Waynne Fowler

I'm just an extemely frustrated Halcyon customer. The dive shops say Halcyon is the best stuff, yet they also say Halcyon's customer service and support does not come close to being the class they like to think they are. My experience in making companies respond to problems they don't want to admit to or fix, is to be a very squeaky wheel. If I can help them to become a more customer oriented company by being vocal about their flaws and spreading the word to unsuspecting souls, I will. It is their lack of responsiveness to an ongoing problem that is so frustrating. Their ego's have outgown their usefulness.

I have six because 3 for my wife and 3 for me. 1 Aluminum for freshwater and pool activities. 2 steels, 1 for singles and 1 for doubles. 2 single wings and 2 double wings.

I've never had much temptation to buy Halcyon after seeing some of the early plates that were released as product without proper deburring. Why they sold them that way I will never understand.

However I've spent the weekend diving with a number of tech divers (well, they were often 100' deeper than I was). Many had Halcyon lights and other equipment. Didn't hear of any problems with their stuff.

I did get an "H" off the webbing from a friends BP/W (he cut it off). Not sure if I'll sew it onto mine or not (just teasing).

i am always amused to watch people sqeal when they don't seem to express their actual desires of performance. Mr Toybox, what exactly is it that H should do. Do you feel that there was something specific they failed to do in previous problems you have had. If you are sending it back again you must have some hope for a solution. What do you think that solution should be, specifically. You are frustrated in their performance correct? What, in their performance, should they change to make your equipment work properly?

It seems like lots of folks have problems with their canister lights - I have certainly heard stories of Dive Rites, Sarteks and and yes, even Salvos having issues. On a recent dive trip, of the 5 divers who went, 4 had light problems of some kind - 2 Dive Rite and 2 Halcyons. The one light that had no problems was a Halcyon and one of the H lights that had a problem was a broken bulb due to being dropped. As far as the SS inflators, I will happily swap you brand new plastic inflators for as many of your SS ones that you want to replace. Maintain them and they work better than the plastic ones. I don't work for Halcyon or anyone who sells Halcyon, have no GUE training and no other interest in the company other than liking some of their products.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom