Bush ok's Gulf of Mexico Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting program on NOVA recently.
Analysis of the period after 9/11 showed a significant increase in the temperature. A separate data point identified an increase in the pan evaporation rates in the same period. The program discussed the possibilities that the temperature increases expected from the known additional green house gases may be somewhat compensated by the loss of sunlight reaching the earth's surface. While this may sound like a positive case for global warming to not have a large impact, with less sunlight reaching the earth's surface photosynthesis is diminished which is not good for food production by most ecosystems.

AXL72:
on a lighter note:D

Maybe global warming is God's lil way of saying, "Holy $hit! It's getting crowded here in heaven!!! I better make these bloody humans extinct and bring back the dinosaurs. At least when I damn them to hell, they don't talk back and it makes Satan's lil hell pad down there a lil more miserable":D

hey, just a thought.
:rofl3: I think climate change is God’s way of forcing crop/animal habitat rotation on wild animals. Even coral are migratory if you look at a long enough time period.

Bill51:
:rofl3: I think climate change is God’s way of forcing crop/animal habitat rotation on wild animals. Even coral are migratory if you look at a long enough time period.

when we (humans) create the problem, we're just killing off animals. we've proven over and over and over again that they can't adapt to our changes fast enough

and we are shortly to prove that we can't adapt to our own changes fast enough ...

lamont:
And all of Alaska, and all of Siberia. The cherry picking of locations is not being done by those who are arguing that global warming is occuring.
Funny, Anchorage has recorded record snow falls and belove average temps for all of this season.

lamont:
No, you were arguing correlation instead of causality and that CO2 emissions could be entirely due to warming. I was not arguing against the idea that warming could cause increased CO2 emissions. In fact, that's part of the problem that as the Earth warms it tends to release more CO2 producing a self-reinforcing cycle. But that doesn't disprove the fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and causes global warming itself. The fact that CO2 is provably a greenhouse gas is enough to falsify your assertion that CO2 rises during periods of warming is merely due to correlation. We know the basic physics of CO2 and we know that without any CO2 at all that the Earth would not be habitable.

No, that was Bill51 that suggested that global warming could be the cause of the higher CO2 levels rather than the effect. You flatly rejected that and I was simply clarifying if you think that is not theoretically possible or just that the evidence doesn't support that.

I would like to address the the people who are using "coral bleaching" in support of their arguments toward global warming and the effect of CO2 on the ocean.

Whilst I'm sure there is a slow global warming and there are higher levels of CO2, the coalition of the two things and Coral Bleaching does not exist. When supporters of man caused global warming swim over fields of Acropora and Montipora and see the the white skeletal remains the first thing they say is " see what global warming has done!" When in truth what they are seeing is caused by RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) and while the end cause of RTN is still under investigation evidence points toward other corals releasing toxins into the water in a sort of combat between corals.
Also as corals are capable of propagation through fragging if warming was a actual cause in bleaching then you would find more and more Acropora and Montipora at slightly greater depths and this is just not the case.

ReefHound:
No, that was Bill51 that suggested that global warming could be the cause of the higher CO2 levels rather than the effect. You flatly rejected that and I was simply clarifying if you think that is not theoretically possible or just that the evidence doesn't support that.
There is expected to be a huge increase in CO2 release as the permafrost thaws as it contains some quanity that blew my mind. I don't rember how many billions of billions of cubic meters was listed. Global warming is one of those things that are self compounding. The worse it gets, the faster it gets worse.

mafiaman, two points:

1. coral bleach because the algae in them die when the water gets too hot; the algae gives them their color; without the algae, the coral eventually die

2. coral can normally migrate if heating is slow and gradual; they are hosed when it is fast and furious, as has been recently

I've got a question for the CO2 gurus, And I aske this question completely unaware of the answer hoping to learn.
Forrest fires and Volcanic eruptions, How much CO2 does these natural occurring evens put into the atmosphere? And whilst man can do nothing about Volcanoes we have a major impact on the course of natural fires.

Back
Top Bottom