• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

burning the film on your mask

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Big fish63, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Johnny Mojo

Johnny Mojo Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Now that's funny......:mooner: :D

J.

2. MRadke

MRadke Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have a new Tilos flex frameless mask with prescription lenses. Noone at the LDS mentioned word one about having to do any aggressive cleaning to prevent fogging. I haven't dove with the mask yet. Is this something that was possibly cleaned up prior to installing the lenses?

3. Aaron528

Aaron528 Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm not 100% sure about all lenses available, but I believe most prescription lenses inserted in masks are plastic, not glass. Attempting to burn junk off a plastic lens would be a bad idea, and I don't think it's necessary. I would punt back to the customer service folks at Tilos to see what they'd recommend for preparing a prescription mask.

4. UnderSeaBumbleBee

UnderSeaBumbleBee Solo Diver

If you burn the film off, do you still need to use anti fog or spit?

5. Gombessa

Gombessa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah, most likely. From my experience, the layer makes a new mask fog up intolerably regardless of how much spit/antifog you use. Once you get rid of it (burn or toothpaste), you generally still need to antifog, but it actually works now.

6. LeadTurn_SD

LeadTurn_SD Solo Diver

"That Thar" is the key.

Elbow grease + white toothpaste until you have almost developed tendinitis... then rinse, rest and repeat..... then rinse, rest, consume a beer, and repeat.... etc.

It has always worked, even on stubborn masks....

But "burning" does sound a lot faster, and I've also heard it works well.... maybe on my next new mask, in 5 or 10 years :idk:

Best wishes.

7. String

String Master Instructor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Apparently its the latter.

We did have a fairly annoying DMT years ago that pre-season opening had the job of toothpasting (didnt use lighters then sadly) all the new masks for the season - 50 of them.
    We hadnt seem him for HOURS, went to see what was taking him so long and found he was doing the inside of the glass with toothpaste....AND then the outside.

...well he was ginger :)

8. Scott L

Scott L Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    :D...

9. stakanak

stakanak Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Here is what I do: I vigorously scrub the inside of the lens with toothpaste, let it dry, then light the toothpaste on fire until it is sooty. I rinse the soot off with Gold's de fogging drops and then repeat as necessary! Works like a charm and smells great too!
    Get Wet

10. knowone

knowone Regular of the Pub

Metho works, and it's cheaper than beer.