Burning Question...

Choose wisely:

• FULL CAVE CERTIFICATION

Votes: 33 46.5%
  • TRIMIX CERTIFICATION

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanarc once bubbled...
O-ring, my point is most of the people who have taken Trimix (at least up here) have no penetration skills at all. Most of them dont run lines dont care about silt outs ect. That goes for the majority of the people diving wrecks off Long Island, but not all. Basically they'll tell you, I'll cut your line if it gets in my way. This is just what I've seen from the few times I've been down there, not including my buddy who's also been down there with out me and he ends up being the only one who runs lines. Actually this includes allot of St. Lawrence and Great Lakes Divers. Not saying all the above dont but the majority of them dont.

Where I take my courses (Dans Dive Shop, St.Catherines Ontario) if you don't have the necessary skills you won't pass the course. The instructors work with you until you master them. This starts right from Open Water and Advanced Open Water. The thought of hearing Tri-mix divers not having penetration skills scares me. On my first diving trip I learned a lot watching the Tri-mixed guys. Besides, when diving with them, if you start silting out a wreck they'll grab you and throw you off. 10 or 20 divers shouldn't lose out on a dive just because 1 person doesn't have the essential skills taught right from the start.

Personally, I'll do my cavern course befoe my Tri-mix, but I'll do my Tri-mix before my Full Cave.

cwb once bubbled...
I see people advocating cave for the skills, however, with the exception of the "line-oriented" drills (lost line/buddy, line laying, etc), there weren't any skills I picked up in cave for the overall betterment of my diving that wasn't covered in DIR-F.

I would agree accept...Cave is a minimum of 16 dives (if I remember right) with all kinds of naturally occuring situations (application). In order to complete a cave class proficiency is a requirement (in theory). DIRF consists of what 4 dives? Since DIRF has been made a "certification" I would imagine some level of mastery will be required. A cave instructor also has the option of introducing other "tech" skills like stage diving, staged decompression using O2 and others. Not very many years ago cave training was about the only tech training available so it did it all.

I think a cave class is a great place to perfect skills but the thought of taking a cave class just for that reason seems silly to me just because not everyone wants to go in a cave (which is as it should be).

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I would agree accept...Cave is a minimum of 16 dives (if I remember right) with all kinds of naturally occuring situations (application). In order to complete a cave class proficiency is a requirement (in theory). DIRF consists of what 4 dives? Since DIRF has been made a "certification" I would imagine some level of mastery will be required.
[snip]

I can only speak of what I got out of it. Maybe if I hadn't of had DIR-F, then cave would have added more skills to my plate.

cwb once bubbled...

I can only speak of what I got out of it. Maybe if I hadn't of had DIR-F, then cave would have added more skills to my plate.

There is only so much to diving. If you got trim, bc and can swim everything else is just doint the same thing in a different place or with a different gas or with an additional tool like a reel/line.

My former students who have gone on to cave training had an easy time also.

You should have seen the trimix class we just did. The students were better in the water than the instructor. In fact they already knew more about decompression theory. They were also my former students who went on to cave training and then trimix.

well, you cave guys are giving a good argument... But the poll is leaning towards the trimix course...

COme on guys, somebody make a break for it...

You should have asked trimix cave divers which they would do first!! Most of my friends, associates, and dive buddies would say cave. Especially if you already have a foundation on deco theory.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
well, you cave guys are giving a good argument... But the poll is leaning towards the trimix course...

COme on guys, somebody make a break for it...

Well I guess that depends on the +/- percentage of error in the poll now doesnt it? :D

well, I guess I could do my cave cert this year, and forgo Trimix until next year...

Oh well, I guess I am doing the Doria on air this summer...

Oh well, I guess I am doing the Doria on air this summer...
I think you are kidding...but just in case you aren't, I would get that trimix card instead of cave before I did this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom