Buoyant Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass:
sounds like addressing the symptom and not the problem, but how about thick neoprene boots or socks?

I agree its a band aid, but said I'd ask. He's already wearing 5mil boots and wants to limit change w/ depth regardless

Everyone who stressed trim issues - I tend to agree. Also, since lower back pain results from holding his body straight in a virtually weightless environment, I'm going to suggest he see his doctor and discuss the problem. Maybe a physical therapy program will strengthen the affected area and mitigate discomfort. To everybody who put in their 2 cents, thank you very much.

I had same sort of issue, but eliminated it by using integrated weighting on my BCD.
But this will only make a minor change in trim.
4-5# at top of tank usually does the trick, as this counteracts aluminum tank issue.
Or Get steel a tank and get rid of most all of that troublesome weight.

TimAZ:
Everyone who stressed trim issues - I tend to agree. Also, since lower back pain results from holding his body straight in a virtually weightless environment, I'm going to suggest he see his doctor and discuss the problem. Maybe a physical therapy program will strengthen the affected area and mitigate discomfort. To everybody who put in their 2 cents, thank you very much.

It could be resulting from fighting to keep his legs from sinking. I am prone to back pain from 2 old disc injuries and struggled with a weight-integrated BC as there are only 4 possible places to put weight. A black inflated BC improved the situation when I placed all my weight in the front, but a BP/W solved the problem, along with knowledge that weight can be placed just about anywhere.

What kind of fins is he currently wearing? Maybe just going with lighter fins, not necessarily positive fins, will help. Come out to Lake Pleasant next weekend - 26th and 27th. He can join us on a dive and we'll take a look at his trim, etc. We'll also bring some lighter fins for him to try out if he thinks it's that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom