buoyancy of cf200 vs tls350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaliban

Reaction score
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the buoyancy characteristics of the dui cf200 vs the dui tls350? I was chatting with someone the other day who said that cf200, though crushed neoprene, is still neoprene, and therefore has addtional buouancy, which means that you will have to compensate for that extra buouancy by carrying more weight, and once you are at depth, the buoyancy characteristics of the suit would change, thereby leaving you over-weighted.

The argument certainly makes sense, but I spoke to dui on the phone to see if they had any technical information regarding the buoancy characteristics of these suits, and they said that there is virtually no difference in the buoyancy characteristics of the two, due to the fact that their are no bubbles in the cf2oo material structure. Here is a picture of the cf2oo compared to other types of neoprene, which seems to support that claim to some degree, but certainly isn't definitive http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/tech_crushed_neo.html.

Does anybody have any actual experience or knowledge to speak to this?

thx,

-k

DUI is right. I dive with a CF200. I wear less weight than I did with a 6 mm Farmer John. The CF200 when wet will sink to the bottom. The CF200 yields a small amount of insulation as compared to a shell (trilaminate).

My experience with CF200 vs Trilam is that I carry an extra couple of pounds when wearing the CF200.

It won't crush enough at depth to make any difference but it does have inherent buoyancy in salt water.

I need two pounds more in the CF200 than the TLS 350 to get the same feel in fresh water. Not much difference but there is a difference in my eyes.

Hallmac

A CF200 will sink in the atlantic ocean. I don't know if the crushed material is neutral in salt water (and the zipper and soles add enough weight?) but it will absolutly sink (albeit slow) in the ocean.

And the CF200 does not change bouyancy at depth. It is exactly the same as at the surface.

:confused:

kaliban once bubbled...
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the buoyancy characteristics of the dui cf200 vs the dui tls350? I was chatting with someone the other day who said that cf200, though crushed neoprene, is still neoprene, and therefore has addtional buouancy, which means that you will have to compensate for that extra buouancy by carrying more weight, and once you are at depth, the buoyancy characteristics of the suit would change, thereby leaving you over-weighted.

The argument certainly makes sense, but I spoke to dui on the phone to see if they had any technical information regarding the buoancy characteristics of these suits, and they said that there is virtually no difference in the buoyancy characteristics of the two, due to the fact that their are no bubbles in the cf2oo material structure. Here is a picture of the cf2oo compared to other types of neoprene, which seems to support that claim to some degree, but certainly isn't definitive http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/tech_crushed_neo.html.

thx,

-k

The TLS 350 has no buoyancy. It's a shell suit. It's the undies that you use that dictate the weight with this suit. Change undies...buoyancy changes...........etc.

Unless you wear alot of underwear, you should drop some lead.

I went from 36lbs in a one piece 7mil to 22lbs in a cf200, same hood, same gloves, same bc, etc... And that is with silk underwear, a one piece polartec and a sweatshirt under the cf200.

I know guys that dive both wet and dry (Inever dive wet anymore) and they always go down in weight with their cf200s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom