Buoyancy Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superform:
mikeferrara you sound so jaded... :p

the reality of the situation is that not everyone going through there OW course is a potential Navy Seal.

Who said anything about Navy seals? I'm talking about making things easier...not harder.
you need to accommodate the ability to teach all types of students with the necessity of teaching them properly.
Really? LOL
maybe your just PADI bashing under your breath, but until the system changes you have to work with what your given,

that's just it. I'm not stuck with any system. I'm talking about how to teach divers to dive.
thats why DM's assisting a PADI instructor will say .. add more weight! it helps the class over all...

What helps tha class is providing the information needed and providing skill practice that developes the needed skills. You won't learn to dive midwater by being plastered to the bottom with a bunch of weight.
are people better divers for taking this road? maybe so and maybe not.. as long as they know the fundamentals of what they are doing they have a chance.. and most learning is self learning and its what the students take away with them that matters most imo.

Fundamentals is exactly what I'm talking about. What could be more fundamental to diving than being able to control your position and orientation in the water?
buoyancy is a personal thing.. guides like buoyancy checks help people work out there personal buoyancy. if you have another way to do it.. feel free to tell people how you do it.. and let people make up there own minds. as long as they get there in the end its all good in my book.

Buoyancy isn't a personal thing. It's governed by natural laws that are very well understood and can be directly taught and learned.

I think telling people how I do it is just what I've been doing here.
remember diving is meant to be fun.. to call in the fire and brimstone because something doesnt go your way just shows that you maybe should have quit the diving industry awhile ago.

Diving is supposed to be fun and floundering around with buoyancy control problems isn't fun. Visit just about any dive site and watch to see for yourself. On the other hand when the fundamentals are taught in the classroom and in confined water, then the open water dives really are fun. Really, divers have way more fun when they are actually able to dive.

I did quit the dive industry though I still spend some time helping new divers who are having trouble because of the messed up things they are taught...or not taught.

MikeFerrara:
Fundamentals is exactly what I'm talking about. What could be more fundamental to diving than being able to control your position and orientation in the water?

maybe the ability to breath off scuba underwater.. i have seen sooo many students freak out underwater whilst doing there basic skills and need to stand up and throw there reg etc.. the ability to feel safe is alot more important then to be a perfect diver from the outset...

Buoyancy isn't a personal thing. It's governed by natural laws that are very well understood and can be directly taught and learned.

well there it is.. everyone just carry the same weight!!!

theres alot of factors that go into buoyancy.. as you well know.. 1 of those things is the ability to breath normally underwater.. this isnt something you can just tell someone to do.. alot of the time a new diver who is nervous will shallow breath with a lungfull of air.. you can advise someone against doing this.. but you cant stop it.. its inbuilt human nature.. this is why most people will say.. yes it took 20-40 dives before i was comfortable underwater.. learning to breath underwater takes time and experiance...

giving the ultimatium be perfect divers as soon as you get in the pool or else isnt really helping anyone.. be accomadating.. be understanding.. these are the keys to helping students with there buoyancy.. the rest will come in time..

I did quit the dive industry though I still spend some time helping new divers who are having trouble because of the messed up things they are taught...or not taught.
wow.. i was wrong you dont sound jaded at all!

Hey Mike!

Remember Mike Harmon? Did you get what you and your wife needed for your post?

Superform:
maybe the ability to breath off scuba underwater.. i have seen sooo many students freak out underwater whilst doing there basic skills and need to stand up and throw there reg etc.. the ability to feel safe is alot more important then to be a perfect diver from the outset...

Feeling as in emotion? Feeling safe doesn't mean that you are safe. Being as "safe" as possible underwater comes with having the skills needed to be in control underwater.

Seeing so many divers "freak out" may be a sign that you're doing something wrong. Either way, being comfortable breathing underwater is a fine start but it makes a lousy finish.
well there it is.. everyone just carry the same weight!!!

Who said that? I said that buoyancy is governed by natural laws that we understand. You have heard of Archimedes? New divers not only need to be taught how to know how much weight to wear but they also need to understand the mechanics of trim so they know where to put it and how body position relates and they need time off the bottom to practice it. Now they need to be able to manage all the other basic skills WHILE they control their position midwater because midwater is where most of us prefer to dive.
theres alot of factors that go into buoyancy.. as you well know.. 1 of those things is the ability to breath normally underwater.. this isnt something you can just tell someone to do.. alot of the time a new diver who is nervous will shallow breath with a lungfull of air.. you can advise someone against doing this.. but you cant stop it.. its inbuilt human nature.. this is why most people will say.. yes it took 20-40 dives before i was comfortable underwater.. learning to breath underwater takes time and experiance...

In out classes we just got all of this out of the way in the pool and by the time we went to open water divers were doing pretty good....no 20-40 dives. It only takes 2- - 40 dives when you turn them lose without the tools they need and they need to go reinvent the weel for themselves.
giving the ultimatium be perfect divers as soon as you get in the pool or else isnt really helping anyone.. be accomadating.. be understanding.. these are the keys to helping students with there buoyancy.. the rest will come in time..

Who said anything about giving ultimatums? You give them the information and skill practice that they need. No ultimatums about it.
wow.. i was wrong you dont sound jaded at all!

ok, I suppose I am a bit jaded by this industry wide insistance that one can somehow learn to dive while plastered to the bottom on their knees. Kneeling just isn't a useful diving skill. It doesn't dvelop any useful diving skills. All it teaches is bad habits that will have to be unlearned later.

The bc has been around for a long time. We don't have to sink to the bottom everytime we stop anymore. Don't you think it's about time we really integrate the BC and it's use in controling buoyancy and trim into training rather than tacking a 30 second hover on to the end of the class like an afterthought?

As a side note and as a new diver, I also struggle with buoyancy control. Looking at some of the photos that PF has posted I'd like to say that I'm looking forward to getting to that type of buoyancy control. I can tell by the photos that he has a good grasp on that skill. Great encouragement for new divers that at times think it will take a long time to get there.

MikeFerrara:
The bc has been around for a long time. We don't have to sink to the bottom everytime we stop anymore. Don't you think it's about time we really integrate the BC and it's use in controling buoyancy and trim into training rather than tacking a 30 second hover on to the end of the class like an afterthought?

diving started with divers plasters to the bottom of the sea floor..

i was going to say some more stuff.. but in the end.. i have no interest in bantering with such a disjointed member of the dive community.. if you dont like it.. change it..

Buoyancy control is the most difficult skill a new diver has to learn. It is especially difficult in shallow water since the percentage change in volume (and thus buoyancy) with respect to a change in depth is much greater there than it is when your deeper. So if you can do it in the pool you can do it anywhere.

What you need to do in the pool is forget about your BC and just work with your lungs. You should be weighted so that as you inhale you will start up and when you exhale you sink. In the comfortable middle of that cycle you should be neutrally buoyant and able to hover. Getting properly weighted can take some time, especially if you have small lungs and remember that when you move to the ocean you will have to add a little weight.

Let’s take a few minutes and discuss what you’re being taught and some of the recommendations that you are receiving from others here on the board.

Buoyancy control is difficult for students to learn and thus it is difficult for instructors to teach. It takes time and care; often more time than is available in a short class and more care than many instructors are willing to give. PADI’s solution to this has been to require instructors to teach a completely useless and counterproductive “skill” the fin pivot. The only good thing about a fin pivot is that it is easier to teach than real buoyancy control. The PADI program has you learn this “skill” that you will never use and then learn real buoyancy control in a later class, the so called “Peak Performance Buoyancy” class. I fell that the fin pivot just develops bad habits in divers and puts them in a frame of kinesthetic sense that they drop back into whenever they are stressed or confused. I seen many new divers, in mid water, try and do a new skill or get stressed by something and revert to a knees down, head up attitude, loose all sense of buoyancy control and start to sink. If what we call the Law of Primacy in the Ed biz, what you learn first is often what you learn best. It’s too late for you to do anything about this. I’d recommend that whatever time you can get with your instructor you should spend in the water column with a completely empty BC.

superstar:
Only add air to your bc when you exhale. If you add air when you inhale it's like getting a double blast. It takes a few dives to get it down.
I’d suggest that whilst is the pool there is never any reason (unless you are in a deep pool and wearing a wetsuit) to touch your BC at all. If you must play with it, learn to use the oral inflator because as you exhale into the BC you do not change your buoyancy (air just shifts from your lungs to the BC). You change your buoyancy as you take you next inhalation and that will help you learn how your lungs affect your buoyancy. This approach has the additional advantage of providing remove, replace and purge practice with your regulator.

Dive Right In Scuba:
Wear a bit more weight and compensate with your BC....This will help as you get acclimated to being underwater and can control your breathing better while you get more experience.....Sounds like you just werent weighted properly.
Mike is right, it sounds like you were not weighted properly. But, as I mentioned before, I’d not add so much weight that you need to use your BC, make your instructor take the time to help you get your weighting right.

Superform:
my advise would be over weight yourself then pull 1 weight off at a time over successive dives.. also always do your boyancy checks at the end of a dive when your tank is empty! else you will get half way through your dive and start to gain boyancy through your tank. )
I disagree with overweighting on both operational and pedagogical grounds, but Superform makes a good point. As you get more comfortable with your diving, your breathing midpoint will move lower in your cycle and you will need less weight. For most divers this is just a few lbs., but I have seen rare cases where this shift has been as much as eight lbs. Also, as you dive you will use up the air in your tank and that will make you more buoyant. That will likely account for about 4 lbs. Ideal weighting would be perfect neutral buoyancy at 15 feet with 500 PSI in your tank (your instructor may give you a different depth and pressure, and that’s fine).

Verybaddiver and TS&M are giving you very good advice. They’ve recently solved the problems that you’re facing in one of the most effective ways possible a course called Fundamentals offered through an agency know as GUE. While this is a level of commitment that you may not want to make, their concussions are, nonetheless, absolutely correct.

Superform:
in a practical sense most new ow divers dont sit at the back of the dive deck after a dive trying to weight themselves

i was trying to say make sure on your training dives you have enough wieght to comfortably kneel on the bottom, if you dont know how many wieghts to wear your instructor or DM can help. then after every open water training dive try to do a boyancy check with your current wieghts and see what happens.. if your overwieghted drop 1 wieght and try again on the next training dive.

its a bit rough to say to a new diver... 'just wieght yourself properly' without giving them a guide on how to do it. it is a very tough skill to master and it will change with every wetsuit or tank or piece of kit you wear

gl with it!
If your instructor has not helped you to know how to “just weight yourself properly” you must tell your referral instructor that you need to determine proper weighting and hopefully your referral instructor will do better.

Pete has a good idea. There are many of us who feel that what you’re lacking should be a normal part of every course, but unfortunately it is not, and all our feelings do not help you with your immediate problem. See if you can do a “Peak Performance Buoyancy” (or at least a pool version of it), that could help a lot.

fisherdvm:
A tip to keeping you down on the bottom on a real dive as you start to float to the surface at the end of the dive is to find a rock big enough to keep you down. Hang on to it with one hand, or stuff a couple in your BC. This will let you stay down and not bubble to the surface where hazards can await you.

Many DM carries extra weight, you can gently tap them and request a few pounds for your BC pocket.
This is, I fear, completely inappropriate (at least for the ocean) you can't count on rocks or DMs and you should not be disturbing the bottom anyway. Just request that your instructor teach you the things that you clearly know you will need to dive comfortably.

Best of luck, let us know how it all comes out.

------------------------------------------------------------

PerroneFord:
I can say without question, that at no time, on any dive, did I ever have a need to hover upright. When do you find this skill helpful?
This is the only place that I disagree with you and Lynne. There are times when I have to hover upright, at various angles and even upside down (e.g., collecting delicate jellies). I do not dive like a deep submarine staying level all the time, my body moves in the direction that my head leads and for me, true trim and balance is the ability to be able to hold most any conceivable attitude in that water, not just the horizontal one that you can trim your rig to stabilize at.

SparticleBrane:
...what the heck is a 'fin pivot'? :confused:I've never heard of it.
Is this something close to a helicopter turn? I'm guessing it isn't...
You don’t want to know … it can’t be done in the bath tub.

Superform:
mikeferrara you sound so jaded... :p

the reality of the situation is that not everyone going through there OW course is a potential Navy Seal. you need to accommodate the ability to teach all types of students with the necessity of teaching them properly. maybe your just PADI bashing under your breath, but until the system changes you have to work with what your given, thats why DM's assisting a PADI instructor will say .. add more weight! it helps the class over all... are people better divers for taking this road? maybe so and maybe not.. as long as they know the fundamentals of what they are doing they have a chance.. and most learning is self learning and its what the students take away with them that matters most imo.

buoyancy is a personal thing.. guides like buoyancy checks help people work out there personal buoyancy. if you have another way to do it.. feel free to tell people how you do it.. and let people make up there own minds. as long as they get there in the end its all good in my book.

remember diving is meant to be fun.. to call in the fire and brimstone because something doesnt go your way just shows that you maybe should have quit the diving industry awhile ago.
While the rules let any fool post any opinion, I’d suggest that perhaps, if you want to be taken seriously, you not insult folks that are far more qualified than you are.

I didn't say it wasn't useful. I said I have not had a need to do it. I remember our fundies instructor saying how crazy it was that everyone thinks you need to be horizontal all the time. Then showed slides of himself vertical and one on his knees doing deco. I have not had the same need he does.

I have had to hover at some awkward angles in the caves. But vertical just hasn't been one of them... :)

Thalassamania:
This is the only place that I disagree with you and Lynne. There are times when I have to hover upright, at various angles and even upside down (e.g., collecting delicate jellies). I do not dive like a deep submarine staying level all the time, my body moves in the direction that my head leads and for me, true trim and balance is the ability to be able to hold most any conceivable attitude in that water, not just the horizontal one that you can trim your rig to stabilize at.

Superform:
diving started with divers plasters to the bottom of the sea floor..

i was going to say some more stuff.. but in the end.. i have no interest in bantering with such a disjointed member of the dive community.. if you dont like it.. change it..

He's trying to change it right now but you keep fighting him.

Mike, Thal, TS&M, PFord and others on this board are working hard to educate new divers about the fundamentals of diving and what they can do to overcome the shortcomings in their OW instruction. They are also trying to convince professionals such as yourself that your methods of teaching are causing the issues the OP described but instead of thoughtfully considering their advice, you would rather disregard it and continue to conduct business as usual.

PerroneFord:
I didn't say it wasn't useful. I said I have not had a need to do it. I remember our fundies instructor saying how crazy it was that everyone thinks you need to be horizontal all the time. Then showed slides of himself vertical and one on his knees doing deco. I have not had the same need he does.

I have had to hover at some awkward angles in the caves. But vertical just hasn't been one of them... :)
I was consulting with a small custom suit house in Santa Cruz run by a local NAUI Instructor and early Tech diver who was years ahead in the ways in which he taught and demonstrated buoyancy control. One of the things he did was to hover head down and use a kind of helicopter kick to move about while marinating this attitude.

He built a suit to my design (I’d rearranged the seams to have them run with the opening and suggested some new materials for the outer surface and lining as well as changed the cuff and neck seal designs.), and we went out to test it.

We were diving off Butterfly house. We dropped down to the bottom and I cranked my shoulder valve down it seemed to be taking too many turns, but I really was not paying close attention and managed to completely unscrew it. I was flooded the waste by the time I was able to invert myself and get the valve screwed back on. I added a little air to get my head off the bottom and opened the valve all the way to blow as much water out as I could. So there I am cursing the SOB that didn’t secure the valve and here he comes, upside down because he thinks I want to play.

One thing we did find out though, lycra on the inside is great, you slide in and out and the inside of the suit dries in a flash.:D

Back
Top Bottom