Buoyancy Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil:
What was the point of telling the class that it’s easier to control the smaller bubble?
To illustrate the problem of overweighting and then overusing the BC to compensate for the first mistake.

neil:
I’m not sure it’s pertinent, to be honest. In fact, it’s not really true
I hope you know see the correctness and pertinence.

neil:
If we have a 100 lb. woman and a 200 lb. man learning to control buoyancy, it makes no difference. The rates of change are still the same, as we know. They’re going to be adding or dumping air in about the same ratios, with about the same rate of “difficulty”. Don’t nitpick about lungs and wetsuits.
It is not a question of ratios, but rather absolutes. Wetsuit volume and lung volume work in favor of the larger person since area goes up as the square and volume as the cube of a change in linear dimension, but overweighting is the other way round. Four to six lbs over will pose much a problem for a large man, but will make hovering in shallow water a nightmare for a small woman.

neil:
And to make matters worse, I think you need to re-evaluate your methodology: I doubt the smaller Cartesian diver was easier to hold down because it was smaller.
The physics of this has already been covered, please reread my earlier post.

Thalassamania:
To illustrate the problem of overweighting and then overusing the BC to compensate for the first mistake.

I hope you know see the correctness and pertinence.

It is not a question of ratios, but rather absolutes. Wetsuit volume and lung volume work in favor of the larger person since area goes up as the square and volume as the cube of a change in linear dimension, but overweighting is the other way round. Four to six lbs over will pose much a problem for a large man, but will make hovering in shallow water a nightmare for a small woman.

The physics of this has already been covered, please reread my earlier post.

I get it all. I still have an issue with the way it was stated and how the conclusion was reached. See post #96. Physics lesson learned. I at least have a sense of humor if not a mathematical sense. Thank you. Always entertaining.

neil:
I may not have an engineering degree, but I know back-pedaling when I see it!!
I'm trying to be all fun and jovial about this, but I do find it perhaps somewhat offensive that you refuse to believe me no matter how I try to phrase it. I'm not back pedaling. I'm just trying to explain the pedantry from which it came, as you do not seem to grasp how I truly *do* think. I don't care if you think it's stupid to be so attached to details, but it really *does* bother me when you treat me as if I don't care what I say other than to just try to cover it up later.

It may make me seem rather pathetic, but I *do* re-read what I'm about to post, and quite often, I am forced to better phrase something before posting. I hold myself to a higher standard, as I *should* know what I'm talking about.

neil:
At the same time we have Neil, who can’t add 2 and 2 without a calculator, in the front row. Neil needs to understand the concept sans math, at least at first. Instructor ClayJar just told Neil that larger bubbles are harder to control than small ones. Neil is worried. Neil weighs 200 lbs. Neil IS a big bubble. Neil wishes he had chosen his parents more wisely. Golf sounds nice.
Neil wasn't in my class. If Neil was, he would have understood that for any given diver, if that diver carries more lead weight than he needs for proper end-of-dive buoyancy, he will have a larger bubble than he needs. He would have been shown that that extra lead weight is where the larger bubble comes from, and he'd have a desire to be properly weighted.

If Neil were like, say, Jose, who happens to a well-built (but not obese) young man, he may have commented that he's probably going to have a large bubble, as he's much more substantial than his girlfriend. I would have replied to that by saying that it doesn't really matter how big you are; anyone can dive. (I'd probably mention the *gargantuan* DM I dove with once, who had a great time.) He'd quickly grasp that the concept is simply to not make diving hard on yourself by carrying extra lead on your weight belt, as that means you need more air in your BC, so you have to control it more.

Strangely enough, I happen to have taught this little mini-lesson to a guy. Equally strange, he happened to be named Jose. Even more strangely, that's about how it went. Perhaps most strangely, he had a great grasp of the concept (i.e. overweighting makes diving harder; proper weighting makes diving relaxing and more fun) by the time we finished.
neil:
What was the point of telling the class that it’s easier to control the smaller bubble? I’m not sure it’s pertinent, to be honest. In fact, it’s not really true. If we have a 100 lb. woman and a 200 lb. man learning to control buoyancy, it makes no difference. The rates of change are still the same, as we know. They’re going to be adding or dumping air in about the same ratios, with about the same rate of “difficulty”. Don’t nitpick about lungs and wetsuits.
You have missed the point, which isn't a big deal -- you didn't start at the beginning. Let me try a short TV Guide recap:

Take one diver. Load him down with lots of extra weight, like some places have been reported to do to their OW students. In order to be neutral, he has to add a lot of air to his BC. Now, take that same diver, and remove some of that weight so that he ends up with only the weight he needs to be neutral at the end of the dive when his tank's mostly empty and he's finishing his safety stop. Since he has much less weight on his weight belt, he doesn't need a bunch of air in his BC. (He still needs some, as the air in his tank at the beginning weighs something and his wetsuit will compress -- we covered pressure-vs-volume a previous day.)

The bathroom scale weight of the diver is irrelevant. The lungs and everything else matter greatly, but that was only mentioned later in the discussion once the whole "why you don't want to be overweighted" concepts were solidly understood.

neil:
And to make matters worse, I think you need to re-evaluate your methodology: I doubt the smaller Cartesian diver was easier to hold down because it was smaller. Were the eye droppers exactly at the same buoyancy? Was the water the same temperature, the same air content? Were the rubber portions of the droppers equally pliant? Did you weigh the droppers in and out of water, with and without water in them? Did you calibrate your hands? Ha! :) :) :)
In the hands-on experiment, the concept is not to "hold down" the cartesian divers. The goal is to hold the bottle such that the cartesian diver stays level with the line on the side of the bottle. If it starts sinking down, you have to loosen your grip slightly to reduce the pressure, allowing the bubble to expand and the buoyancy to increase. If it starts floating up, you have to tighten your grip slightly to increase the pressure, causing the bubble to contract and the buoyancy to decrease.

The two cartesian divers I used are two identical open-bottomed, top-capped plastic tubes. The "overweighted" one has four large paperclips slid on from the open bottom. The "properly weighted" one has two normal paperclips slid on from the open bottom. The paperclips maintain static stability, and their size and number are directly correlated with the size of the bubble needed to allow moderate squeezing on the bottle to yield neutral buoyancy. The only differences between the cartesian divers are the number and size of their paperclips and the size of their respective bubbles.

After I demonstrate the divers, I hand the large bubble diver to the student and ask him to squeeze it to hold the diver at the line marked mid-water. It generally takes a few seconds of trying before he starts to get the hang of it, but then he can usually do a decent job. Then I swap bottles with him, giving him the lightly-weighted small bubble diver, and I ask him to try the same "game" with that bottle. Quite directly, he finds that it's *much* easier to hold the small bubble diver at the marked mid-water line. Then, we proceed to the "Why?"

By themselves (or at least with just a little prodding for the shy), they can easily note that the bubble in the big bubble diver is much larger than the bubble in the small bubble diver. It's also readily observable that the large bubble changes size quite a bit more than the small bubble -- when you let go of the bottle, it takes almost 2/3 of the tube, and when you squeeze it hard, it gets quite a lot smaller. The small bubble was never that big to begin with, so while it gets squeezed proportionally (this was covered in the earlier ideal gas law stuff and is noted at this point of the demo for review and emphasis), it doesn't have nearly the same buoyancy change.

Then I ask why the bubble was larger and note this was because it had to be so in order for the diver to be neutral with all that extra weight from the paperclips. I say that it's the same way with scuba divers. If you add a lot of extra lead weight to your weight belt, you have to carry more air in your BC to offset it, and as they've just seen, the bigger the bubble, the more effort it takes to deal with it. At that point, they not only accept that they don't want to dive overweighted, but they understand *why*.

As for the other questions. You know they're a load of hooey; I know they're a load of hooey. :D On the other hand, if you don't quite understand the demonstration as I've tried to explain it in this post, I'll write it up more completely and post a complete "lesson plan" for the experiment. (I'll certainly do that if it will help teachers and instructors who may want to consider using it.)

Anyway...

ClayJar:

I'll write it up more completely and post a complete "lesson plan" for the experiment. (I'll certainly do that if it will help teachers and instructors who may want to consider using it.)
Now you're gonna get me going. There's no experiment here. Only an engineer would see something that it fully know and predictable as an experiment. It's like a Disney, "adventure." NOT!

Thalassamania:
Now you're gonna get me going. There's no experiment here. Only an engineer would see something that it fully know and predictable as an experiment. It's like a Disney, "adventure." NOT!
Actually, I was using a widely accepted definition of experiment.
Merriam-Webster:
an operation or procedure carried out under controlled conditions in order to discover an unknown effect or law, to test or establish a hypothesis, or to illustrate a known law
In the education fields, from gradeschool science classes through undergraduate chemistry courses, the word "experiment" is regularly used referring to operations or procedures "to illustrate a known law". I was, quite obviously, using the word in the same manner as teachers and professors have been using it for far longer than I have been alive.

(Or, to put it succintly: Not an engineer. Only a teacher.)

ClayJar:
I'm trying to be all fun and jovial about this, but I do find it perhaps somewhat offensive that you refuse to believe me no matter how I try to phrase it. I'm not back pedaling. I'm just trying to explain the pedantry from which it came, as you do not seem to grasp how I truly *do* think. I don't care if you think it's stupid to be so attached to details, but it really *does* bother me when you treat me as if I don't care what I say other than to just try to cover it up later.

Whoa! No need to be offended. You missed my smilies. :) :) :) I respect your knowledge. Forget the fact that I'm dense with physics, my original problem was with the phrasing. I'm not going to try and explain it again, I know you understand. And you're correct, I wasn't there in the beginning of you and your friend's exploration. You were discussing overweighting, and I was discussing whether or not a large bubble is intrinsically more difficult to control than a smaller one. I hope you see the difference I'm trying to make. THAT'S what I thought the result of your demonstration to "Jose" was. I asked for clarification and I got it. Thank you. Oy.

Hehe, no worries. :D

(And I think we all have demonstrated we understand the topic quite thoroughly and from a great many angles, wouldn't you say? :))

ClayJar:
Hehe, no worries. :D

(And I think we all have demonstrated we understand the topic quite thoroughly and from a great many angles, wouldn't you say? :))

Better than I did a day ago. :)

My appologies for not reading the entire thread before positing my question (I just finished SeaJay's BP v Jacket BCD thread and can't bare reading any more). Am I the only diver who weights himself so that he needs very little if any air at depth in the BC at the begining of the dive? I am diving tropical waters., AL 80 tank with 6 lbs lead (just bathing suit and rash guard) for shallow shore dives or 9 lbs. lead (0.5mm wet suit) for deeper dives. I am 5' 9" and weigh 185lbs. I do not have any problem making a safety stop with an empty tank and essentially do all my boyancy control at depth with my lungs and swimming attitude. I confess that to sink at depth I sometimes "hold my breath" if that is what you would call it by expelling all the air from my lungs (with an open throat) and staying like that until I drop the desired amount. To surface I vent all my air from my BCD so as to be slightly negatively boyant and then start my ascent. I have to fin a little on the way up but not much. Is this all wrong?

I use a back inflate BCD and have not experiened the "face down" problem.

A final comment, thanks DIR people. You have a lot of good ideas and I have adpated many of them to my warm water back inflate set up.

Back
Top Bottom