Buoyancy device recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people like to drive and justify driving a Lada and others can afford and enjoy driving a Mercedes and some even a Rolls Royce. You can make a good argument for any of them just to make yourself feel good about what you can afford. It is OK if you can't afford better products and actually enjoy them, no one is going to judge you based on that.
:rofl3:

I guess my BC would be about the equivalent of a 2004 Toyota Corolla - either that or taking the bus

You can have a cheap Chinese Toyota knockoff, Toyo-Auto. Dirt cheap and sounds like a Toyota, but it isn't exactly :)

Some people like to drive and justify driving a Lada and others can afford and enjoy driving a Mercedes and some even a Rolls Royce. You can make a good argument for any of them just to make yourself feel good about what you can afford. It is OK if you can't afford better products and actually enjoy them, no one is going to judge you based on that.

A more expensive expensive product, sure. Better? Nah. I enjoy expensive toys as much as the next guy :p

In this analogy, the Hydros is a pimped out Toyota with blinking LED lights, pumping bass woofer and heated bucket seats with massage function clad in snakeskin leather, and the streamlined BP/W is a stripped down rally car.

In this analogy, the Hydros is a pimped out Toyota with blinking LED lights, pumping bass woofer and heated bucket seats with massage function clad in snakeskin leather, and the streamlined BP/W is a stripped down rally car.

IMO that's a bad analogy. I've got two stripped down race cars (84 mustang, 71 dart) that see road use, they are not something most people consider 'enjoyable'. extremely loud (pre axle exhaust dumps), cantankerous when the weather changes, and they'll rattle your eyeballs out at 65mph. not something you'd use as general purpose transport. i'd have gone with Hydros => Mercedes/Cadillac, BP/W => Bare Bones Silver Sedan (take your pick of brands); they both reliably get ya from A to B, keep ya relatively safe, but one costs 2~3x as much. If you really want to toss that rally car into the mix, guess that would be monkey diving?

wife and I both dive steel BPs with 25lb wings. if we didn't dive cold as well, would have gone with an 18lb wing. they flat pack down nicely, clean up easily, and still fall within travel weight limits. if i remember correctly, my rig weighs around 11lb dry (FCP), and her's sits around 13lb (OMS plate + STA). full gear for two fits in two checked bags and a carry on. 2x plates, 2x wings, 2x fins, 4x lights, 2x bail out bags (DSMB, reel, jon line, snorkle) and a save a dive kit fit in a single checked duffel bag, and clocks in at 49lbs. suits and clothing went in the other checked bag, and regs / masks / computers were in the carry on. when we were using SP knighthawks, they weighed slightly less, but bulked out larger and had to be split between two checked bags.

i know a few people that have the litehawks, and have been very happy with them. both demo hydros ive seen on the rack have already shown fatigue in the rubber, with small tears around the collar strap.

Last edited:
In this analogy, the Hydros is a pimped out Toyota with blinking LED lights, pumping bass woofer and heated bucket seats with massage function clad in snakeskin leather.

This actually makes me want to try the Hydros, bc that ride sounds AWESOME!

This actually makes me want to try the Hydros, bc that ride sounds AWESOME!

hydros is more like a lexus rc, faster and better build quality than your standard toyota, but at double the price. still won't do anything a civic si wouldn't though.

don't knock the corolla, it is cheap to maintain and reliable.
Agreed, that was actually part of my comparison. My BC is cheap, doesn't break down, and gets me from point A to point B - kind of like a 00s' Toyota.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom