Buoyancy device recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

removed

Last edited:
The MANY people who are almost standing in line to try and buy this BC and the many others who bought it and just love it must all be wrong and YOU must be right since you haven't even touched or tried the bloody thing of course. WOW!

I will give it a while before comming to a conclusion on this "game changer". Not many people that spend over $800 on a BC are going to say they don't like it, it's just human nature. My take on it is SP created a way over engineered BP/W with way too many proprietary plastic parts that can break.

I was just looking at the SP website to see what all the hype was about. I did not realize that this BC has won the Red Dot award, I'm going to run out and stand in that line to get one right now. Actually I'm being sarcastic! Do people even fall for that marketing BS?

Had to edit again this is from SP's product page
Perfect For

• Instructors
  • Tech Divers
  • Travel Divers
  • Female Divers
  • Young Divers
  • New Divers
  • Dive Training
Really? Tech divers? How does it handle doubles? More marketing BS.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great replies! I don't have much to contribute regarding the Scubapro Hydros, besides the fact that it has sooo many features that I really don't need (I don't even need weight pockets, don't need that much lift, I am agile enough not to have to worry much about getting in and out of the BCD etc) and it's also more expensive than what I would like to spend on a BCD.

I was thinking of getting one of the simple harnesses plus an aluminium or flexible backplate (for example, Apeks has all of those) and a small donut wing. They are much cheaper and seem to be adequate for what I need.

Question: If I get an aluminium backplate, plus a simple harness (like this Deluxe One-Piece Web Harness), will the aluminium backplate destroy me wetsuit, since it will be making direct contact? Or should I go for one of the fancier harnesses instead, (such as this WTX Harness). I don't have a need for 14 d-rings though!
Question2: Has anybody tried a modular system without a backplate (e.g. the WTX harness)? Is it reasonably comfortable, or is the tank digging on your back?

You really did mean that should your AI computer fails in giving you your tank pressure you are going to find your dive buddy and signal him to go behind your back to read your pressure and then come around in front of you to tell you your pressure EVERY TIME you need to know your tank pressure????????????????? You couldn't just buy a SPG on a hose and clip it to a D'ring on your BC and use it as your backup to be independent and practical in handling AI malfunction??

My BC does not have a D-ring in a convenient place for this purpose (i.e. it does not have a d-ring on the side, waist level) :-(. Only place I can put an SPG with a hose is to tuck it on the waist strap, which I hate.

I have the little spg mounted on the first stage for two reasons:
- I sometimes check to see that the AI computer & SPG readings are consistent (on the surface).
- In case the AI computer fails (it has never failed so far), I would do what you mention so that I can surface in a relaxed manner (and not have to rush my buddy to the surface and spoil their dive). I do travel with an normal SPG with a hose in my backup kit, in case there is any trouble with the AI computer.

Now that you mention it, I think I will buy a short hp hose (a bit shorter than the hose of the inflator), so that I can route the little spg together with the inflator hose and have it next to the inflator - a bit higher: it will be out of the way and I will still be able to read it with some difficulty in case the AI computer fails. Does that seem reasonable?

@SpyrosDives

The backplate does no damage to your wetsuit at all, they look uncomfortable but aren't

I dive both a comfort harness, with no backplate (dive rite Transpac) and a basic hog rig with SS plate (for winter dry suit). I love both. With the dive rite even though it has no plate and I remove the comfort pad (attached with Velcro and is buoyant) I don't feel the cylinder

If you wanted a comfort harness the diversity is the one I'd recommend as it has excellent strap adjustment for precise fitting

The apex WTX harness is flawed in that it has no adjustment for shoulder length so the wing and tank can sit too high/low

Not sure about the Scubapro Xtek system of harnesses

I can really recommend the Apex range of wings very durable.

Regarding AI and SPG's, I just keep a standard length SPG clipped off in case the AI fails (never has) and for checking contents when setting kit up

Frog is a UK brand, my wife has one of their wings, after 6 years and 500 dives it's still going strong with only a webbing change

I have a relatively short SPG, just long enough to reach the left hip D-ring without slack. I often end up moving it to my left chest D-ring so I can see it by glancing down slightly. Just makes getting out of the harness a bit fussier so I move it back to the hip towards the end of the dive.

Nothing you've said changes the fact that it weighs over 10 lbs. - or 1/5th of what I travel with in checked luggage for free or $25.

Or I can leave 1/2 the functionality in the closet and have what I can also get in a $400 travel BC...??

i don't need to see/use one to figure that out, it's listed on the website.

WRONG!!!!! You are talking through your hat, you have no idea what you are talking about at all. Just assumptions concocted in your mind while you were asleep.

Somebody's been hitting the Scubapro Kool-Aid a little much lately...

That somebody knows a lot more than what you don't know anything about.

removed

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom