Buoyancy device recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyrosDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I have a question about buoyancy devices, and seeking some gear recommendation.

I do warm water diving (30m max) and looking for a new BCD or BP/W. My current setup is as follows:
- Travel BCD (It is almost two sizes too big, so this is the kit I'm looking to replace.
- Air-integrated computer and, for backup, a button pressure gauge attached directly to the first stage (so, in case my computer fails, my buddy will be able to read it).
- Reg/octo are a pretty standard lightweight model (Mares Instinct).
- Fourth element thermocline full suit + sometimes a top. They are all neutrally buoyant and effectively give the thermal protection of, say 2mm-3mm neoprene.
- Fins, mask, snorkel for backup, DSMB, sometimes a mirror, a cutter or/and a torch.

I normally dive with either a single 0.5kg weight in my pocket or no weight at all (when using an Alu tank, I don't remember ever diving on a steel tank).

I keep no air at all in the BCD while underwater (i.e. only interaction with the BCD is to purge any remaining air while at/close to the surface and I inflate it after I have surfaced). Thus, I need a buoyancy device with minimal lift.

I like travelling and diving as light as possible.

I've read that many people use a BP/W and some people are even just using a backplate and harness with no wing. For safety reasons, especially since I'm doing lots of drift diving and I don't have any weight to ditch, I do want some sort of buoyancy device for when I'm on the surface.

To gauge experience, I have around 90 dives and I am quite comfortable in the water, with my buoyancy, my gear etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Hey All,

I have a question about buoyancy devices, and seeking some gear recommendation.

I do warm water diving (30m max) and looking for a new BCD or BP/W. My current setup is as follows:
- Travel BCD (It is almost two sizes too big, so this is the kit I'm looking to replace.
- Air-integrated computer and, for backup, a button pressure gauge attached directly to the first stage (so, in case my computer fails, my buddy will be able to read it).
- Reg/octo are a pretty standard lightweight model (Mares Instinct).
- Fourth element thermocline full suit + sometimes a top. They are all neutrally buoyant and effectively give the thermal protection of, say 2mm-3mm neoprene.
- Fins, mask, snorkel for backup, DSMB, sometimes a mirror, a cutter or/and a torch.

I normally dive with either a single 0.5kg weight in my pocket or no weight at all (when using an Alu tank, I don't remember ever diving on a steel tank).

I keep no air at all in the BCD while underwater (i.e. only interaction with the BCD is to purge any remaining air while at/close to the surface and I inflate it after I have surfaced). Thus, I need a buoyancy device with minimal lift.

I like travelling and diving as light as possible.

I've read that many people use a BP/W and some people are even just using a backplate and harness with no wing. For safety reasons, especially since I'm doing lots of drift diving and I don't have any weight to ditch, I do want some sort of buoyancy device for when I'm on the surface.

To gauge experience, I have around 90 dives and I am quite comfortable in the water, with my buoyancy, my gear etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

The typical travel diver using at least a 3mm suit and buoyant al 80's is well served with a BP&W consisting of a Stainless back plate and a very small wing.

With less exposure protection a lightweight (aluminum or kydex) plate will avoid the overweighting that Stainless Plate would provide. Your neutrally buoyant suit could make a light weight plate worth consideration.

A BP&W with a lightweight plate and small (17 lbs) wing packs very small, can be partially disassembled to aide in transport and is quite lightweight.

We have outfitted many 1000's of warm water divers with similar kit. If you would like a specific recommendation feel free to contact me at tobin@deepseasupply.com

Tobin

Since you need so little weight, the oxycheq or apeks travel plate or zeagle express tech is an option

Dixie divers and dgx would sell the cheapest two bpw packages with al back-plates.

I really like my BP/W - it's a pretty 'standard' 30 lb wing with an aluminum backplate (initially bought due to travel weight). It's easy to break down and pack small. I also prefer my no-STA-required variant to my girlfriend's STA version. I currently have weight pockets mounted as well. Whole thing weighs 3.5 kg, with all the extra bits.

If I were to slim down a little more, I would get a smaller wing (18-20lb), and I will probably get rid of the integrated weight pockets, because at my current weight and with a 3.5mm full suit (I'm 6 ft tall and around 190 lbs) I only need to carry 4 lbs, which fits nicely in small trim pockets.

You could do tank backpack and harness and a snorkelling vest. Though I'd prefer a full horse collar BC: snorkel vest only have oral inflator.

The new improved Scubapro Hydros BC is the BC that will replace all of your BCs and never look back. They can't keep enough of them in stock because they are so popular. My friends who have tried them are raving about how great they are! This BC brings many unique features to the BC market. It comes with a set of straps to use when traveling to tropical dive destinations to reduce the weight and bulk:

www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/bcs/products/hydros-pro.aspx

An Express Tech may not be the best option for a travel BC since they weigh 6.5lbs. not including weight system - i.e. for your single weight you'd have to use a belt. They pack small though since it's a soft backplate, some straps and a small wing. I have the Ripcord on my Ranger and it probably weighs a pound - Ziptouch should be lighter since it's just pockets with velcro. Assuming you don't want to use a weightbelt at your destination. I have looked at them and do plan to buy one someday.

The new(er) (later than 2013 model) Scubapro Lighthawk advertises that it has no inherent buoyancy.
The BC carries no inherent buoyancy so only minimal ballast weight is required.
It weighs 5 lbs. total for travel. And is $415.

Also there's the Zeagle Covert, they advertise it as a model you can roll-up for travel - as well as being lightweight - 3.9 lbs. I don't think there's anything lighter with pockets and a wing included.

Look into Tobin's (Deep Sea Supply) Kydex plate also. You might not need any additional weight. I'm not a bp/w diver but it makes sense in your situation. Detach the wing and it all fits in your carry-on. You probably need to buy an add-on pocket for your stuff also.

edited...

my .02...

Last edited:

You really did mean that should your AI computer fails in giving you your tank pressure you are going to find your dive buddy and signal him to go behind your back to read your pressure and then come around in front of you to tell you your pressure EVERY TIME you need to know your tank pressure????????????????? You couldn't just buy a SPG on a hose and clip it to a D'ring on your BC and use it as your backup to be independent and practical in handling AI malfunction??

I can't see Scubapro's Hydros as a travel option. If you dive the full system - it must weigh over 10lbs - the shippable (boxed) weight is 11.86 lbs. Also it's $840 retail. If you leave 1/2 of it at home - which you can do, it seems silly since you get the same functionality in a $400 Lighthawk.

And they spent a lot of time/money engineering useless features like a 3-4 position vertical mount for the chest strap. Who changes theirs on a regular basis? In all fairness I haven't seen a Hydros in person but doubt I will ever bother. And I have a Platinum Reseller 4 miles away so easily could.

You are giving advice and making conclusions on something you have NEVER tried or even had it in your hands to be able to judge and know the truth??? Seriously??

The MANY people who are almost standing in line to try and buy this BC and the many others who bought it and just love it must all be wrong and YOU must be right since you haven't even touched or tried the bloody thing of course. WOW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom