buoyance problems with exsmoker buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ms tomato

Reaction score
My husband quite smoking 3 months before our trip to Cayman (good for him) but he had so much trouble with his buoyancy that we were only able to do 2 dives on different days and they were very short. I have a feeling his is breathing so heavily from the exertion that he just can't stay down. He just floats to the top. He had probably 30 lbs on his weight belt and that didn't help. Will this problem go away when his lungs begin to heal? I was disappointed for him and for myself also. We did A LOT of snorkeling and it was all beautiful. Other than that we had a great trip and Cayman was wonderful. Ms Tomato

I am not qualified to answer your question, but I was wondering: What was his buoyancy like before he quit smoking? I don't think a rapid breathing rate will make someone overly buoyant, but I'm not an expert. Maybe he gained weight after quitting smoking, which would mean that he'd probably need to add more weight to his weightbelt. Just a thought.

I'm sure one of the doctors on the board will address this soon. Congrats to your husband on quitting!

Originally posted by ms tomato
....He had probably 30 lbs on his weight belt and that didn't help.

He used 30 lbs. in Caymen?!? Unless he is a really big man it sounds like he was way overweighted. Lugging that weight around and trying to compensate for it underwater will wear anyone out.

ps...this really isn't a medical problem so I'm moving this thread to the Basic Scuba Discussion forum.

30 lb in the tropics, floating to the top!?!

OK, I have seen students bolt up while breathing heavily. They were nervous & hitting the inflator button on their BC. If the poor man was that badly overweighted, I suspect he felt compelled to inflate the BC & either the hose got stuck on or he got tense & overdid it.

Thanks for the responses but my husband is no more than 10 lbs over weight. He has smoked for 30 years and I think he just can't breathe well. I also apolgize for stating the incorrect weight of his weight belt. I put the weights on the scale and they registered 12 pounds. He has one large red weight (3 pounds) 2 large black, 2 small black. There are no numbers on the black weights so I am unsure what they are. Those of you that are more experienced will know.

We were certified in 1990 and have dived every year in Cayman since then, but were not able to go for the last 3 years. I do not have problems with buoyancy and always have tons of oxygen left at the end of a dive but I am also in shape. I walk 5 miles almost everyday. My husband does not exercise except for mowing our yard, which is huge. So I just think he is really out of shape. He is 5'11 and weights 180. I hope I can get him back in the water since his confidence is shot. I love to dive and would sure hate to lose my buddy.

If you have not been able to dive in 3 years, than that explains a lot! I do 5-15 dives a month, if I go any longer than a month between dives, then I spend time playing with my bouyancy before the actual dive starts. 3 years between dives, and I would feel like a newb! Just get him back in the water asap, and let him work on it. It will come back to him.

James, how do you get to dive so much? Do you dive in lakes? We are landlocked so it's a BIG deal to book a dive trip plus we both work. Lucky Jim! :)

Properly weighted your husband should have been able to descend if he exhaled completely...did he indicate that he physically could not exhale for that period of time without stress? Has he been to the doctor yet to evaluate his lungs and to ensure that there is no physical problems that would need to be addressed?

If he were light on weight and breathing rapidly could explain the problem...and as he struggled at the surface the problem got worse and his breathing increased.

I don't know how experienced your husband and yourself are but I strongly suggest that if you haven't already taken the peak buoyancy class that you do so. Getting comfortable with your buoyancy and knowing what exactly what weight you need before stepping off a boat on vacation is the ideal.

If you don't want to do that then get with an instructor to at least assist your husband in determining what his correct weight should be. Remember that your correct weight is correct when you are breathing normally and not hyperventilating (do not attempt to decend until you are relaxed and breathing at a normal rate) Starting off a dive breathing rapidly is difficult to correct underwater and will result in a dive that isn't as much fun and possibly cut short by increased air consumption.

Hope that helps...good luck.

Back
Top Bottom