Bungied backup hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That settles it. I just ordered a 26" HP hose (to add 2" to my SPG over my current 24" hose) and a 24" LP hose (again, adding 2" to my secondary reg over my current 22" hose), which should loosen everything up nicely. Thanks for the tips!

CompuDude:
Good to know, thanks. Yes, I use an STA, and I switch between HP100s and HP119s, so yes, sometimes an 8" tank, too. I'll get another hose.

Interesting that the DIR gear site I linked says they prefer the 22", specifically, on their picture of a singles rig. *shrug* Don't believe everything you read online! :eyebrow:

22" might be too short for APEKS regs -- I think it works for scubapro.

The "right" length is one you can turn your head to the left/right without it tugging out.

Also, the bungee in your pic looks too long to me.
7" or 8" tanks really shouldn't make too much of a difference I think -- I dont need to change hose going from steel LP80 to AL80 to Steel HP-130's

CompuDude:
That settles it. I just ordered a 26" HP hose (to add 2" to my SPG over my current 24" hose) and a 24" LP hose (again, adding 2" to my secondary reg over my current 22" hose), which should loosen everything up nicely. Thanks for the tips!

I think that you will find that many of us started with hoses that were a bit too short on the back-up. Also, I edited my earlier post as I mistakenly made it sound like my doubles needed a shorter LP hose than singles. The 22" LP hose is just too short for me on doubles, it is fine with the single tank configuration.

Greg Barlow

Greg Barlow:
I think that you will find that many of us started with hoses that were a bit too short on the back-up. Also, I edited my earlier post as I mistakenly made it sound like my doubles needed a shorter LP hose than singles. The 22" LP hose is just too short for me on doubles, it is fine with the single tank configuration.

Greg Barlow
It's interesting that a number of people in this thread have given opposite impressions. Some (like you) find the secondary hoses need to be longer than the standard 22" with doubles, some others apparently find they need a longer hose with singles.

Clearly first stage routing options (reg-dependent, such as Apeks v. SP MK25 v. SP MK17, etc) play into that, but it seems there is just enough variation among individual rigs that you just can't set any hard and fast rules on this issue.

For singles with my Oceanic cdx5 first stage the 22 works well. In fact it may be just a tad long. I'm 5'7" so that may have something to do with it but I also dive a DSS rig which does not require an STA and everything is where it should be for me. In fact the only thing I might need is a shorter lp inflator hose as opposed to the one that came standard with the rig if iwant to keep my Dive Alert or Hammerhead on. Otherwise they stay in my pocket.

Doc Intrepid:
... the 22" hose is the right length if its coming off the LEFT post of a manifolded set of doubles - the backplate tends to put the manifold relatively close to the diver.

If its coming off a single tank valve a 22" hose may be short for many people. You may want a 24" hose at least, and this may be impacted by whether you use a STA or not (which sets the tank slightly further back), the regulator you use, and whether you use a steel tank that is 8" diameter...in some cases a 26" hose may work better for you.

Vie:
...I regularly use a 20" with my MK20/25 (due to the length of the first stage itself and the fact that hose comes from the LP port right at the end of the swivel turret which is angled towards my right - we're talking doubles here; I also use a 20" hose when using my MK20/25 on a single tank rig.)

riguerin:
... Back up: 24" in doubles, 22" in singles

Greg Barlow:
... On my singles rigs, I use a 22" back-up hose. You must remember that on many regs the outlet port is around 2" closer to your body's centerline than on a set of manifolded doubles. I use two different first stage designs for singles, an Apeks DS4 or a Mares V16.
On my doubles rigs, I use a 24" back-up hose, as it is on the left post and farther from the body's centerline. I am running this from Mares MR12 first stages, and can rotate my head fully to the left.

Soggy:
The backup reg ... comes off the left post, which is why it is recommended to be 24"-26". Mine is ~24".

johnkendall:
When using Scubapro 1sts, 22-24" should be ample ...

Now that I go through them all again, it's interesting that aside from Doc, most people are saying singles probably uses a shorter hose than doubles? I'm diving singles with a 22" hose, and it seems too short. That was my point. Other posters in the thread seem to have found the opposite to be true, although it's not always clear what regs they are using as a basis for their recommendations.

FWIW, my bp/w is a DiveRight plate with an STA that puts the tank a good inch farther than it would otherwise be.

CompuDude:
Now that I go through them all again, it's interesting that aside from Doc, most people are saying singles probably uses a shorter hose than doubles?
That's correct - shorter short hose with a single than with doubles. That' s because with doubles, the "short hose reg" (left post) is further to the left of your centerline as compared to a single. Doc had it mixed up at first, but I see he has corrected that.

CompuDude:
I'm diving singles with a 22" hose, and it seems too short.
My recommendation is that you do 15-20 dives with that hose before deciding to get a longer one. One common problem when switching to a DIR setup is that people don't give themselves enough dives to adjust to where everything is. You may find that you like that length fine once you have given yourself time to get accustomed to it.

Usually there are reasons why hoses are a recommended length, and it's not a good idea to go deviating from that right off that bat, at least until you have given everything some time - you may feel differently about things after a few dives.

If you draw a simple sketch of what it looks like (looking down on top of the head) it might help. Draw the diver's head, and then the single tank reg directly behind their head. Now, if you use the same regulator and move it over the diver's left shoulder it should show how the hose would need to be a bit longer to reach the diver's mouth. If the back-up were run from the right post (don't do this), it could be even shorter to reach the same point (diver's mouth).

Does this help?

Greg Barlow

DIR-Atlanta:
That's correct - shorter short hose with a single than with doubles. That' s because with doubles, the "short hose reg" (left post) is further to the left of your centerline as compared to a single. Doc had it mixed up at first, but I see he has corrected that.

My recommendation is that you do 15-20 dives with that hose before deciding to get a longer one. One common problem when switching to a DIR setup is that people don't give themselves enough dives to adjust to where everything is. You may find that you like that length fine once you have given yourself time to get accustomed to it.

Usually there are reasons why hoses are a recommended length, and it's not a good idea to go deviating from that right off that bat, at least until you have given everything some time - you may feel differently about things after a few dives.
Totally makes sense.

That said, I switched to the long hose in September, and have about 40 dives on this setup, so I'm a bit beyond the initial shakedown time period.

If you look at the photo in the first post, you'll see it's not too far off. I think going from a 22" to 24" hose (still within the recommended parameters, I guess) will make the difference. (Note that photo was before I switched to a pure hog rig, but the current positioning is about the same)

MHK can tell me for sure once he resumes classes and I can finally take Fundies.

does anyone have a close up shot of a singles set up using an apeks dst? like the one shown in the this thread for the scuabpro?i am currently setting up my apeks tx 100 and interested to see how its done right, no pun intended, im all confussed about the half inch port etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom